Home Technical Talk

SPECIAL FX: What about hand drawn particle sprites ?

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
Blond polycounter lvl 9
Hello, Polycounters

This topic regards something that I hold very dear since my ealiest day of gaming: Sprite particles or sprite FX, not sure how they are called but whatever, I'll give more example.

You guys probably must have seen the latest Killzone or inFamous games, right.
In terms of particles, they come across the best games that have really made a big show out of their particle system.

Infamous-Second-Son-Also-Features-Neon-Powers-Gets-New-Screenshots-399654-2.jpg

ib2pFqqoYTh8AY.gif

7Jg9.gif

They of course look awesome. However, these particles are mostly computer generated driven by programmed settings and are animated by dynamics integrated in the engine. In the end, after the initial setup is done, I'm not sure but I don't think they hold any ''artistic value'' as they are mostly created and handled by the engine ( right) ?

But what about sprites?
I mean hand drawn special FX.

12e96c7a-d06e-4f95-b699-3aa293fa917e.jpg

Scarlet%20Blade_Group%20Battle_t.jpg

These are generally found in alot of RPG and MMORPG when characters are casting spells, magic or for other interaction.

Basically, I'm talking about pre-animated particle sprites, not animated by random values based on dynamics.

Square Enix are the best at making them.

Basch_quickening.jpg

kingdom-hearts-hd-1-5-remix-screenshot-3.jpg

Kingdom_Hearts_HD_13571656129643.jpg

So what do you think about them?

And also, is there any documentation on how to draw and animate these sorts of pattern so it looks as good? I haven't managed to find any...

Let's say for example, I want to make a shniny lightning strike without using any dynamics or particles, what program can I use to make them?

Replies