Home Technical Talk

Reverse a number of keys on the timeline Maya

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
melviso polycounter lvl 10
Is there a way u can reverse a bunch of keyframes on the timeline or graph editor in Maya?

Replies

• LMP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LMP polycounter lvl 13
    By reverse you mean like if they were played in reverse order?
  • melviso
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Not quite,like in Flash if u have a ball that tweens forward,u can reverse the frames on the timeline so they tween backwards when u hit the play forward button.
    Does maya have a reverse keyframes like that?I know u can switch the keys in the graph editor if u have two keys but this will be difficult if u have like 40 keys.
  • rube
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rube polycounter lvl 17
    A quick and dirty way is to select your frames in the graph editor, push 'r' for scale and then middle click and drag to the left until you get the scale to -1.
  • melviso
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks,rube.Problem is I baked a rigid simulation I did in Maya and I want to reverse the frames.Doing it that way is difficult because of the huge number of frames (200 frames)the viewport lags heavily so I can 't scale it that way to precisely -1.I find this very weird,why Maya doesn't have an invert or reverse frames.
  • fade1
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fade1 polycounter lvl 14
    graph editor->scale(options) use -1 either time scale or value scale to reverse
  • timotronprime
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    timotronprime polycounter lvl 11
    Go to your dope sheet and scale the frames there instead.

EDIT: Either graph editor or dope sheet, in the scale options, I'd suggest change the start and end frames instead of scaling -1 as that would give you one to one results; scale/pivot may give unpredictable results on certain axis'.
  • melviso
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I tried it.It appears I am not getting the results I want.I simulated a plane shattering to pieces and I want the scattered pieces to come back and form the plane.So I thought if I reversed the keyframes it will work.Guess I was wrong.Does anyone know how this can be done.I have considered rendering it out and then reversing in a post processing app but there's a moving object underneath and the pieces are supposed to cast shadows on the it.

Wait..is there a way u can bake a simulation backwards?
  • melviso
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Seems the only workaround to this is to reverse the rendered frames and then fake the shadows.
    Thanks for the help guys.
  • 54Strat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    54Strat polycounter lvl 5
    A bit late to the party, but...

1. Select the keys in the graph editor
    2. In the graph editor, select Edit > Scale
    3. In the scale key options window, choose method > Start / End, and enter your last frame for the start time, and your first frame for the end frame
    4. Be happy.