Home Royalties or Post-Launch Compensation Work

3D Artist needed for arcade style hockey game.

GrandMcDon
polycounter lvl 2
Offline / Send Message
GrandMcDon polycounter lvl 2
Introduction

Hello,

I'm a huge fan of arcade type sports games, especially hockey ones. Some of my favourite hockey games are NHL 94, Mutant League Hockey, Blades of Steel and NHL Hitz 2003. Those games were really fun, as they weren't trying to go for the extreme realism of today's sports games but instead make it more arcade style, and just trying to make it as fun as possible.

After trying to find any new ones, I couldn't. The closest was NHL 3-on-3 which came out a few years ago. I decided that I should start on my own hockey game and make it like all the old style games. The game is being made in Unity.

Done so far:

I've been working on a hockey prototype which includes a lot of the basic features to a hockey game. Right now it has passing, shooting, scoring, switching players, picking a position, body checks, power ups, a visual score counter and timer, pause option. Currently, I'm in the process of writing the AI which will be the biggest part but won't be too bad.

You can try out the most up to date version here: http://db.tt/8VARoU83

I would also love to hear input from the artist for any gameplay aspects and any input as to what they would like to see in the game.

Plan:

The goal is besides a regular hockey exhibition game, season and tournament mode, I plan to have a variety of different modes. Few examples:

Elimination - Last one to score in that round is out.
Team Elimination - Same thing as elimination but in teams.
Ironman Match - Get the most goals or body checks in a certain amount of time.
Power up mode - Play with a bunch of power ups, which you can choose which ones are selected. (Might just make powerups appear in any mode).
Practice mode - Set number of players on ice, whether active or not and practice.

There will be fighting and special moves. The special moves will either team based and can only be activated once you fill up your energy bar enough from goals or body checks. Also I'm going to be having online mode and a bunch of unlockables to keep players interested and something to do when they have no one to play with. I don't want this being a yearly game so I want to add in as much content as I can to give people their money's worth.

Needed from artist:

Since I'm doing all the programming, I just need a 3D artist that can do all the art. The characters, the arena, the UI, menus, etc. The idea I have for teams is that each team is made up of a certain character. For example, one team can be a bunch of golfers that use golf clubs. Another could be a bunch of grim reapers that use scythes as their hockey sticks.

The look I'm going for is cartoonish? I enjoy the art style of Team Fortress 2, Borderlands, Brutal Legend, games like that. So that should give you an idea of how the art should look. I'm hoping to be able to put the game on all platforms, so with having a cartoonish look along with the violence of hockey, it will make it easier to get a lower ESRB rating and onto the different platforms.

The Pay:

I know this is probably what all artists are looking forward to the most. The pay will be from sales and any money raised. I'm hoping to do a Kickstarter eventually, to be able to get interest and funds to be able to upgrade to Unity Pro and a few other necessities. Also, once the game is released you'll get 50% of profit. Also, the Unity Pro and anything else needed for the game will come out of my own funds.

The Conclusion

With all that said, if you enjoy arcade hockey games like me and want to do the art for it, either post some of your work you have done or send it to my email. Keith.Woodland90@gmail.com.

Make sure to test out the prototype test I have linked above and hopefully you'll get excited for the kind of game that I'm trying to bring back.

Thank you.

- Keith