Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Diablo 3: Reaper of Souls - art dump

Replies

• Autocon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Autocon polycounter lvl 15
    What a fabulous collection of art KP! I cannot wait to have time to dive into Reaper of Souls, this just makes me want to find time even more :)
  • Jernej
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi there! Awesome art. Got just one question. Are the models using only diff maps or normal, spec maps too?

Thanks
  • Stinkfoot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stinkfoot polycounter lvl 11
    Yessssss, great stuff! amazing you crammed all that stuff in those textures
  • killnpc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    killnpc polycounter
    thanks guys, it's great seeing these old names again.
    Jernej wrote: »
    Are the models using only diff maps or normal, spec maps too?

the images showcased here are viewport renders using diffuse in full bright and doctored in Photoshop.

our character models use basic diffuse, specular, and glow maps. the engine does support normal maps but are used sparingly, mostly for particle fx.

our hero armors also use a tint mask map - the R channel defines values that reference a master gradient-style tint texture, the B channel defines tint masking.
  • Jernej
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the quick info :) had a blast with the game. Would really love to see some environment breakdowns too :P
  • killnpc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    killnpc polycounter
    Would love to see some environment art stuff :P
    Alphavader wrote: »
    Would be nice if some of your environment guys give
    a short inside about there stuff ^^
    Would really love to see some environment breakdowns too :P

i hear ya. i haven't seen any yet. i've asked the environment team for links and will let you know. in the meantime, enjoy this video showcasing some of the new environments in RoS:

http://youtu.be/ebt3rErv6LE
  • Iciban
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Iciban polycounter lvl 10
    Really love the art style!
  • chudork
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    chudork polycounter lvl 8
    thanks for sharing and the insights regarding the process :D
  • Jernej
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the effort :P I had a blast playing the game (still am). The art really looks awesome :)
  • Monolith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Monolith polycounter lvl 18
    Mhh... Stalgard's Decimator! I love that one! Used one of them on my Warlock and now on my Crusader :D
  • lucashug
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lucashug polycounter lvl 6
    Soo good! thx for sharing :)
  • Wendy de Boer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wendy de Boer interpolator
    You guys really did amazing work on this. I'm a big fan of the art style!

What kind of poly budgets did you guys work with? These characters seem very efficient. Any specific reason you guys went this low? I'd figure present day systems would be able to handle more. Just curious! :)
  • killnpc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    killnpc polycounter
    What kind of poly budgets did you guys work with? These characters seem very efficient. Any specific reason you guys went this low?

i am never given poly budgets. those performance numbers must exist somewhere because a tech artist, lead or animator might suggest using a different poly count but that information is not usually provided.

i use the polys i need and try not to be wasteful. depending on how big the monster's footprint will be, how complex its shape, UVs or animation might be and how close it might be viewed, based on what's been done in the past, directs my poly use.

although a lot of work had been scrapped over the years, some was also repurposed and i suspect it also has a lot to do with the game's content and engine being some 10 years in the works.

the rules were set by the first 5 monkeys so i can only speculate as to why the limitations we have exist. the game's art direction has changed hands a few times over the years.

the natural benefits of this might be that we could allow more characters on screen at one time, although usually the cost of the shader is more important. maybe it allows for a larger spectrum of computer hardware or players with low-end computers.

originally the game cam didn't zoom at all meaning the monsters and npcs would only be viewed from a set camera distance. once the feature was added, i'm sure it made some artists uncomfortable which eventually resulted in poly counts and texture sizes increasing.

our weapons were very low poly using tiny textures at one point. one artist started using high counts with larger, more realistic textures. they looked awesome so that eventually became the new standard.
  • Wendy de Boer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wendy de Boer interpolator
    Ah, I see! Thanks for the explanation. :)