Home Digital Sketchbooks

Sketchbook: LensFlare

LensFlare
polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
LensFlare polycounter lvl 7
Hey guys, I am making a thread here so that I can start to track my progress as an artist. I have a very long way to go with all of this, so please do critique me as much as possible. Truth be told I am a bit nervous in doing this!

Here is my first attempt at doing a digital painting. I am not much of an illustrator, but I figure all the more reason to work at it! Did a grey scale first, then colored over it. Kind of copped out on the ocean, but I just couldnt make much headway on it.
7CemQkU.jpg

Replies

• LensFlare
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This is old work, but I want to have the habit of keeping this active, so here goes the gameloft favela test I did a while ago:

QfhBHJd.jpg

5GB0DXe.jpg

I'd like to make this into something portfolio worthy, so any comments are welcome!
  • LensFlare
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey Guys! I haven't posted in here in like a year, because I've been waiting for the perfect thing to post. That kind of defeats the purpose of these things , so I'm gonna change that! Heres something Im working on right now:

PAXCaFL.jpg
    PAXCaFL
  • LensFlare
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Digging up more old work. This was from a challenge that I saw floating around tumblr:

drawingmeme.jpg

I drew a friend of mine:

drawthing.JPG
  • LensFlare
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Something else I'm working on. This is something out of one of the old monthly challenge threads. Hi poly and retopo(not shown) finished. This is the part I kind of get lost at, lol. Going to get started on UVing this next!

3dAiLrX.jpg
  • LensFlare
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    M4oxngk.jpg

So done with the low poly for this. This is the part where I have no real idea what I'm doing. I know how to UV but I don't know how to do it well at all really. I remember reading in one tutorial that Im supposed to create smoothing groups for all of the faces inside of a set of hard edges (grouping shapes essentially). But I also just watched one that used no smoothing groups, and only did seams on edges surrounded by two other edges. Is this just a difference in technique? I will probably start with the latter since its the faster of the two.