Home Technical Talk

How do I animate fabric to crease when object bends?

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
Gooner442 polycounter lvl 6
Good day all,

I have a rectangular object (mattress) which is already animated using a Spline IK control. I want to have the effect of the mattress fabric creasing when the mattress bends. can anyone point me in the right direction?.. I will be looking at doing it through either morph objects, the displace modifier or possibly some animated textures.

Cheers

Replies

• timotronprime
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    timotronprime polycounter lvl 11
    You can use the attributes to drive a blending normal map.
  • Gooner442
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    not sure how I would go about that... Could you give me a little more info?..
  • timotronprime
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    timotronprime polycounter lvl 11
    You can, say, use your joint's rotation value to control a Layered Texture node with the carpet crease normal map.

Or just key that in.

EDIT: Yea, I should have mentioned this is an in-Maya solution.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It really depends on what app you're using (I'm guessing max?) and what you are outputting to.

You would have one set of maps for wrinkled and one for normal and then blend between them with the composite map (not composite material). The Composite Map allows you to create "layers" similar to photoshop and blend their opacity. It also has several different methods for blending like multiply, overlay ect...

There are a lot of ways to wire the opacity of the composite map(s) to some other parameter or object using, wire parameters, reaction manager or straight up animating the values. It's up to you how you want to drive the whole thing. Use control object, morphers, bone angles there are a lot of ways to do it.
  • Gooner442
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I forgot to say I'm using Max, I'm actually looking at doing it through cloth sim at the mo, I think the results will be more realistic than any texture or morphing solution