Home Technical Talk

3ds Max Unwrap UVW issue...F#^!ing$!@*!!!!

Hey PC,

So I'm not sure if my workflow is causing this issue or if the Game Dev Gods find it funny to torment me so, but I am having an issue with 3ds Max's unwrap uvw modifier. I'm modelling in 3ds max, exporting to unwrap in UV Layout and when I reimport to max and run an unwrap modifier everything is fine. My UVs are there. I rearrange some and colapse my modifier. But here's the ticker, if I reapply my Unwrap modifier sometimes my uvs are right where I left them but others they are back in places that I had them before. I'm not sure what it is I'm doing wrong to cause this to happen, but its very late and I'm very frustrated.

PLEASE HELP

Replies

• Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I haven't ever had that problem so I can't say specifically what is going on but it sounds like you might have made some UV edits on a separate channel like UV2 and then after collapsing and reapplying unwrap it was displaying UV1.

The dialog that pop when switching UV channels and sometimes when loading/saving, can be a bit confusing too. In some older versions of max they where worded so poorly that it lead just about everyone to do the wrong thing. They made some attempts to straighten that out in newer versions, but it can still fubar your UV's and overwrite channels when you don't want to.

In the UV editor change the "Map Channel" to 2 and see if your UV's are there. When you switch you'll see that confusing message I was talking about, with any luck you're on a newer version and it actually makes sense.

If you need them on UV1 you can save UV2, switch to UV1 and load them. You can also use a "UVW Mapping Clear" modifier to get rid of UV channels. You can also use "Main menu > Tools > Channel Info". In that, UV channels show up as 1:Map, 2:Map, 3:Map and so on. You can also use the clear button delete them also.

Hope that helps!
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Seriously, that dialog box ... the first time I saw it I think I stared at it for 10 seconds trying to figure out what it was asking me. :P
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hahaha, totally.

I had one of these moments when I first saw it...
    Nemo%20Trying%20To%20Speak%20To%20me.gif
    Is that Russian? Dutch, it looks like Dutch? Wait no, FRENCH? What version did I install?
  • monster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    monster polycounter
    That damn unwrap modifier just needs to be able to let you edit multiple UV channels.