Home Contests & Challenges Archives Team Fortress 2

Rigging Misc. Items

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
3DRyan polycounter lvl 8
Hey all,

I've been looking all over the place, and I can't find any solid knowledge on weighting misc clothes items like shirts, jackets, vests, etc.

I've imported the .SMD for the Scout into Maya, and as expected, the weighting is off. Certain vertices on the model are being affected by bones that should have zero influence on them. Now, I can go through the trouble of trying to fix everything and have it match the correct in-game rigging as much as possible. But it seems that at the very least it would take a ridiculous amount of tweaking to get it right.

Because I'm assuming that with clothes, they have to have the same skeleton as the character, right? So if the character rig is broken in the first place, how can we expect to get clothes that don't clip the character model? I'm assuming from looking at the Workshop submissions that people choose to do big, puffy clothes for this reason. So that they have enough extra space between the clothes and the character model to account for a margin of error. I'm thinking about doing something more tight-fitting, so if it's impossible to do, I would like to know now before I go through the effort.

I tested a hat and got it working in-game, but clothes are a bit different. Can one assume that you only need the bones on your model that would have some sort of influence? (EX: only needing bones located around the torso and arms if you're making a t-shirt).

If someone could shed some light on this, I would greatly appreciate it. I think it would not just help me, but lots of other people with the same questions.

Replies

• EmAr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EmAr polycounter lvl 18
    You have to select your bones from the original skeleton. Use whatever bone you like from the original skeleton. The exporter takes care of the unused bones too(you don't need to delete any bones).

For clothes:
    - Create a copy of the character mesh from the smd file, if SDK files don't work, try decompiling. It's not the ideal solution but sometimes it works.
    - Push your vertices as much as needed to avoid clipping problems.
    - Cut poly's to fit your item's shape.
    - Add any additional geometry.
    - Unwrap, texture etc.

I hope this helps.
  • 3DRyan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    3DRyan polycounter lvl 8
    Hey thanks! Yeah, I have a feeling that no matter what, this is going to be a huge pain. I'm gonna do some tests this weekend and see what I can pull together. Thanks for the help, you're by far the most helpful person on this forum. :)
  • Bearplane
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bearplane polycounter lvl 7
    Hey 3DRyan, im currently having the exact same problem you were having. Did you ever figure out a solution to the weighting problem?