Home Technical Talk

ZBrush vs Others

Am I wrong or is ZBrush still the cheapest route for sculpting? Let me explain. To get to a decent resolution to sculpt detail in Blender, Sculptris, or 3D Coat, you really have to have really high end hardware. From my testing, Zbrush just gives you great performance with relatively low specs. I think the difference in price of ZBrush versus the hardware required for the others, really gives Zbrush a huge edge.

Replies

• Shadownami92
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shadownami92 polycounter lvl 7
    Pretty much, when I used Sculptris when attempting to do a sculpt it just couldn't get the detail needed before it got way too dense. Ended up retopoing and bringing it into Zbrush since it was the only thing that could handle the density at the time.

While the interface can take time to get used to, Zbrush is nice with their license system. With the free updates and the ability to sell your license if you feel you no longer need it. And overall it's price isn't that bad compared to other software.
  • oglu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oglu polycount lvl 666
    go with zbrush... best deal for sculpting..
  • JamesTKirk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JamesTKirk polycounter lvl 8
    3d coat got a huge improvements in sculpting recently. I can now call it full blown sculpting app.
    I actually prefer how its brushes feel and the freedom it gives with those local subdivision/decimation brushes.