Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Blender guide for Maya users (controlls emu file included)

Hi. I know that some of you have knowledge of Maya. In the past, I was too a Maya user, but due to the immense sum of money for the license, I decided to switch to Blender. In Blender, the problem was that everything was different, at the first glance. I couldn't even move the camera. It was like I was having my hands tightened by rope. Since then, I have tried to find a way to emulate the Maya behaviour in Blender. I have succeded creating a controll scheme, that matches what we have in Maya.
I have made a little guide on techniques used in Blender, in comparassion to Maya, and, in the same guide, I have posted the controll scheme file that works with the last version of Blender. I think this guide would be helpful for the community. Here is the guide:

http://blenderartists.org/forum/showthread.php?324685-Blender-complete-guide-for-Maya-users-(with-adapted-controll-scheme-file)

p.s. Something I forgot to mention there: in Maya, we move the view with the View Cube. In Blender, we change the views with numpad.(2,4,6,7- rotate view; 5-change perspective, 0 - change cameras and '' . '' - focus on selected object.(works the same as Focus in Unity)

I think these resources would be really helpful for the community. The controll scheme would let you play with both Maya and Blender, without breaking habbits. What do you think?

Replies

• ivanzu
    Offline / Send Message
    ivanzu polycounter lvl 10
    Thanks,not really using blender for modeling but when set up right its probably one of the faster modeling tools available.Currently using it for UV mapping and painting.
  • Yadoob
    Offline / Send Message
    Yadoob polycounter lvl 7
    Thanks for your hard work, I hope it'll be usefull for maya users, I know some of them who tried and totally switched to Blender and be really happy with the software right now^^.
    In an other hand I find quite odd that's people need that's sort key configuration : I didn't see it by default in any other package like 3DS or Zbrush. Well, that' a personal though, I don't want to start a Interface-neverending-thread again and that don't make your work less great !
  • luge
    Offline / Send Message
    luge polycounter lvl 4
    I tend to keep my schemes the default for everything... its just habit, but if I did end up using blender, this would be helpful. I find it a pain when I switch between programs for different things and the controls are different. it takes me a minute to remember how my camera and controls change between zbrush and maya, and sometimes when I switch between maya and photoshop I can get confused (which is stupid...) which is why i'm glad 3D Coat has the option for changing the toolset to a more common toolset configuration, such as 3DSMax or Maya.

but this should be a great contribution to us maya artists if we ever move over or need certain tools ^_^