Home Dota 2

Problem with a head item for puck. So close to done.

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
Esuka polycounter lvl 8
Hey everyone,

So I've been working on a head item for puck over the last two days, and I'm very nearly done. The LoD's are complete, the textures and the masks look fine, but I've run into a problem I can't make heads or tails of.

The item in question is a pair of horns (slightly updated since this image) that sit atop Puck's head. I used the existing bones to give the coins and pendant some bounce, and on the high detail model, everything looks good.

On the low detail model, one half of the set flies off into space. The only thing I can think is that the skeleton is freaking out, but the high detail uses the same rig and it's fine. If I can solve this issue, it will be good for submission. Any advice you might have on how to fix this one would be much appreciated.

Thanks everyone.

Replies

• polarbear
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Check this video: [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TmepHy6FT2A"]Skinning and Exporting, 3dsMax to Dota 2. - YouTube[/ame]
    I had a very similar case and it turned out I accidentaly moved my pivot...
  • Esuka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Esuka polycounter lvl 8
    Hi Polar, thanks for the video. Unfortunately, that doesn't seem to be the problem. All of my pivots are at 0,0,0 and frozen from the binding. I watched the whole of it, but I can't pick out anything I might have done differently (aside from the program I used).
  • Esuka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Esuka polycounter lvl 8
    So this morning, I've tried rebinding the model, using replacement geometry to see if its the mesh or the bones, and tried using the skeleton on the high detail model (which works fine) on the low detail model. Nothing has produced results, and when I tried doing a junky remesh in maya, I noticed the mesh that appeared in dota was not the same one. I'm not sure if dota is simply failing to load the correct file (which could mean I actually fixed it at some point and it didn't tell me) or if nothing is working.
  • Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zipfinator polycounter lvl 9
    Esuka wrote: »
    So this morning, I've tried rebinding the model, using replacement geometry to see if its the mesh or the bones, and tried using the skeleton on the high detail model (which works fine) on the low detail model. Nothing has produced results, and when I tried doing a junky remesh in maya, I noticed the mesh that appeared in dota was not the same one. I'm not sure if dota is simply failing to load the correct file (which could mean I actually fixed it at some point and it didn't tell me) or if nothing is working.

If you're testing out something new in the importer you can only test it in the first viewport it loads. If you switch it'll reload the older version of the item unless you completely restart the game and reimport. Some people compile the item with a new name every time to mitigate this but I don't want to fill up my hard drive with copies like that.
  • Esuka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Esuka polycounter lvl 8
    Ah, good to know. Thanks
  • Esuka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Esuka polycounter lvl 8
    So I seem to be breaking it more and more a I try to fix it. I made a new file, imported the high poly version, deleted the mesh and kept the bones, imported the low poly, and bound it so I know they're using the same skeleton.

Now, not only is one horn showing up, the horn that I can find is not actually bound to the head.

Here is the high poly with proper rigging for comparison.