Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

The Hounds Pit Pub-Dishonored

polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
Matt_Billeci polycounter lvl 7
Here's a WIP for an environment I am doing for a class project. We have to model it in maya, texture in photoshop and render it using mental ray. Any feedback would be appreciated!

UaXHzNB.jpg

Replies

• silvershrimp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Chamfers in areas like the bar and edges of hard surfaces. Model the windows? above the bar instead of texture. Bigger textures on everything. Fix that shadow on the ceiling. Texture stretch on the side of the bar. More realistic leather shader on chairs, softer shadows? The gold is a bit yellow can;t see if the reflections are accurate. Light on the right isn't really casting correctly on the floor. Better shader on the lino, less bump on it. If you aren't I'd use miamaterialx, there's some pre-sets if you haven't rendered much that you can work with. I like fast mental ray plugin if you're runnign an old version of maya.
    It's a good start anyway, almost has a feel of a Hopper painting
  • Matt_Billeci
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Chamfers in areas like the bar and edges of hard surfaces. Model the windows? above the bar instead of texture. Bigger textures on everything. Fix that shadow on the ceiling. Texture stretch on the side of the bar. More realistic leather shader on chairs, softer shadows? The gold is a bit yellow can;t see if the reflections are accurate. Light on the right isn't really casting correctly on the floor. Better shader on the lino, less bump on it. If you aren't I'd use miamaterialx, there's some pre-sets if you haven't rendered much that you can work with. I like fast mental ray plugin if you're runnign an old version of maya.
    It's a good start anyway, almost has a feel of a Hopper painting

Thanks, much appreciated!
  • Ssjtroll
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ssjtroll polycounter lvl 8
    My first question would be are you making it all game rez for a reason if you are rendering in Mental Ray? If you are not, my first thing would be throw more pollys all over that scene, try to get the edges of the geo to match real world reference and switch over to Mia_material_x.
    -need to get falloff on your shadows
    -floor bump is really extreme
    -need to go over and get your spec looking right on your materials
    -Watch for texture stretching

Good start, keep pushing
  • Matt_Billeci
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ssjtroll wrote: »
    My first question would be are you making it all game rez for a reason if you are rendering in Mental Ray? If you are not, my first thing would be throw more pollys all over that scene, try to get the edges of the geo to match real world reference and switch over to Mia_material_x.
    -need to get falloff on your shadows
    -floor bump is really extreme
    -need to go over and get your spec looking right on your materials
    -Watch for texture stretching

Good start, keep pushing

Its for an intro Texture and Lighting course at my college so unfortunately the course requires everything rendered in mental ray as opposed to tossing it in a game engine. Im also required to optimize my geometry as well.

Appreciate your feedback! :)