Home Dota 2

Reality's Workshop

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
chrisjuuuh polycounter lvl 6
Hi all,

So Ive decided to get good at content creation for dota 2. Ive definately got a long way to go but hopefully with some good ol practise and feedback Ill be able to get there.

So over the last week Ive been busy with an axe for axe. (no pun intended) I've decided to scrap it as i feel like the design is too simple and does not realy meet the dota asthetic. I will post the work here anyway as hopefully someone can point out where exactly i was going wrong and we can avoid that in the future.
axe_concept.jpg

diffuse.jpg

axe_normals.jpg

SuperAxe2.jpg

SO this is what I have decided to scrap. I learned a lot by doing it but decided to try something else. I came up with this concept for a romanesque type of sword. Would something like this be better suited for a dota item?
sword.jpg

Will do some more sketching and brainstorming to see if i can come up with anything badass. might even join in in the dota 2 noob thread. see how we go.
Thanks for any comments!

Replies

• chrisjuuuh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So, A new project. Decided to go with something fresh. My favourite kind of weapon is a claymore and the only hero in the game that uses a claymore is Sven. For that reason i present....the supersword! name is a work in progress...

Sword_Render.jpg

Sven_Sword2.jpg

still a work on progress. Kinda disapointed I couldnt get the sculpted detail to show up...but i gues 256x256 will do that. C&C would be great!
  • EmAr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EmAr polycounter lvl 18
    We can help if we see the sculpt with the details which didn't transfer to the low poly. What maps did you bake?
  • chrisjuuuh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    heres a picture of the sculpt and the resulting normal map.

I dont think its down to the bake. just simply to fine a detail to display on a 256 texture. baked a normal and an AO

blade_detail.jpg

polynormals.jpg

EDIT: and a close up as photobuckets compression is terrible..

blade_detail_close.jpg
  • Reyne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Reyne polycounter lvl 6
    The details is very fine, you would never be able to see that in game. The depth of the etching is also too fine/shallow to attract any AO.
  • EmAr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EmAr polycounter lvl 18
    Yeah, resolution seems to be the problem here. Other than that, you can use different colors/shades to mark those areas if you can go back to the design phase(like pieces of different metals were forged into the sword). I'm not sure how dark the lines appear in the AO bake but you can also overlay a cavity map onto your diffuse map to emphasize them.
  • chrisjuuuh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ye i figured it was the resolution. We learn by making mistakes dont we.
    Painted in the sections i had sculpted out with other colored metals als suggested and multiplied a cavity over the top. quite happy with the result.

Sven_Sword3.jpg

Any comments on the further design of the sword? what needs to happen for it to have a chance of being accepted?

Beauty shot:

Sword_Render4.jpg
  • chrisjuuuh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So I posted the sword up on the dota 2 workshop. waiting for some upvotes hopefully but im in doubt whether it will make it in. Should probably put more work into the marketing images.

For my next project I have decided to do a set for Tidehunter. It seems to be a forgotten hero when it comes to the workshop and I feel he needs some love.

Thinking of doing a mining themed set, replacing his anchor with a pickaxe and giving him a cute miners helmet and toolbelt. also thinking of having him drag a canary cage around behind him. However, I was wondering whether valve has issues with sets that have a real world theme, as you don't see a lot of them around. Does anyone have any comments on this?
  • ike_ike
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ike_ike polycounter lvl 12
    i think the bigger problem is that you're turning tidehunter into a miner. i have no idea how you made the connection between giant vengeful fishman and mining.
  • chrisjuuuh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    it was mainly the anchor. I was thinking of alternatives and the shape of an anchor reminded me of a pickaxe. The idea kind of evolved from there.
  • chrisjuuuh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    windranger_jacket.jpg
    windranger_diffuse.jpg

Started work on a Wind Ranger set, Will be posting up the progress I'll be making. C&C always welcome :)
  • chrisjuuuh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    3Hiu784l.jpg

Been working on my painting skills and finished up this concept of an axe. Feedback would be great. I need some help with filling in the large plain pieces of the blade. not sure how to approach it. Thanks!