Home General Discussion

Naga Swamp and introduction (:

Edit: Fk, I posted it on the wrong forum. I was very nervous T_T Can somebody move it to the Painting and Previews, please?

Hello Poly (: This is my first post here and I'm not really sure if this is a 3D only forum. I joined because I got recommended by some other artists, but all of them did 3D.

I'm considering starting at 3D since I wanted to be a concept artist but that's a really though position to get and it would be nice if I could fit into 3D environment or prop art too, since I'd also like to do that (:

As of now I only do 2D and if you accept that here, I would love to get feedback of my art to improve (:

The last thing I did is this:

gaia__haunted_fate_by_kaelula-d7awyww.jpg

I was trying to start with a greyscale comp to get better at lighting but I ended messing up the colours a lot with the layer modes. I didn't like this way of painting, so I think I'll stick with just applying color directly.

I got a dA gallery in case someone could lurk a bit and give some feedback: http://kaelula.deviantart.com/

I'm a bit blocked about what to do now. I want to start learning 3D but I seriously lack a lot of things in 2D. I'm doing figure drawing, value studies, heads and hands, still life, movie studies and in between making some free painting or designing to dis-stress my mind of the work. (I love 3D in Blizzard or Dota style, but that's too far as of now xD)

Well, that's all, I'm ultra-scared now, this seems a very nice community and I hope you accept 2D so I can get feedback and improve. Thank you for reading!

Replies

• Isaiah Sherman
    Offline / Send Message
    Isaiah Sherman polycounter lvl 14
    You are in dire need of studying fundamentals. The anatomy, composition, and perspective are all quite jarring.

I can tell you spent a lot of time on polishing/painting it, but you really need to hit those basics before you paint something to death.

That is my brutally honest feedback.

Welcome to the forum!
  • Two Listen
    Offline / Send Message
    Two Listen polycount sponsor
    Going to echo Isaiah's feedback. This piece seems too complicated for you to try and tackle at the moment. "Jarring" was a good word, it's a bit all over the place right now without any part of it on its own really being all that visually appealing.

...I know saying "study the fundamentals" isn't always a great thing to hear. It's not super specific, but with something like this it would be really difficult to go over the whole thing and try to elaborate on what all could be done to improve it.

I've looked over your deviantart and your tumblr. You need to work on your eye, and I guess that's something that really just develops over time as you experiment with new things and get better. It seems that you're not seeing what's actually there, while you paint you're seeing the version of it that's in your head. Do you squint at your paintings? If so, don't. You hear that every now and then, "squint at your paintings to see how they read." It's dumb advice to give to people learning, nobody else is going to squint at your painting, you shouldn't do it either. If you want to see how it reads look at a thumbnail, shrink it, or simply stand back. Your eyes should always be open to seeing what is actually there, how it actually looks, not how you want it to look.

And don't be afraid to post. Improving takes a lot of looking at your own stuff and being honest about your failures. You don't need something like being afraid of posting online adding to what can already be a very stressful process.
  • Mnemosyne
    Thank you for the feedback you both! (:

I spend most of the day with fundamental studies. I paint these things despite knowing they'll turn out bad just to relax my mind from the work. I tried getting a week of fundamentals only and it turned out very stressful.

Also, thank you for taking some time by looking at my dA and Tumblr, I apprecciate your interest in helping a lot (: Don't worry about being brutally honest, that's what I need! :D

For the next piece I'll post the WIPs then! ^^
  • Mnemosyne
    That's an excellent, professional attitude. Never loose it.

Thank you sir, I'll do (:
  • Clark Coots
    Offline / Send Message
    Clark Coots polycounter lvl 13
    Mnemosyne wrote: »
    Edit: Fk, I posted it on the wrong forum. I was very nervous T_T Can somebody move it to the Painting and Previews, please?

nervousness is showing some more, it's "Pimping and Previews" not "Painting"

little bit of a troll from me haha, don't mind it, all in good fun. Keep on practicing and welcome to the forums!
  • Mnemosyne
    coots7 wrote: »
    nervousness is showing some more, it's "Pimping and Previews" not "Painting"

little bit of a troll from me haha, don't mind it, all in good fun. Keep on practicing and welcome to the forums!

Ouch! *facepalms* xD

Thank you, I feel very welcomed (: