Home Dota 2

Tutorial on How to Make Dota 2 Assets in MayaLT

Hope you Enjoy ;) Figured I would document my process.
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KQQBUmdQwCM"]Maya LT Dota 2 Tutorial - Part 1 - YouTube[/ame]

Replies

• authentic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Admin welcome to move to appropriate topic. Didn't see that there was a specific thread for tutorials.
  • heboltz3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    heboltz3 polycounter lvl 9
    Here's a broad level question that a majority of people might be wondering.

What are the working differences between Maya 2014/15 and MayaLT?

Do you feel like there are any holes in your pipeline, or is it relatively comparable to that of the industry standard/student versions?
  • Sukotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sukotto polycounter lvl 8
    I think one of the few holes is the 25k poly limit it has meaning you can't bake in Maya. It's not really an issue because I know a lot of people use xNormal anyway, it's just a little hitch if you want to keep the pipeline as inclusive as possible
  • heboltz3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    heboltz3 polycounter lvl 9
    I know there's no python scripting, but I'm not sure too many doter folk use that for their everyday pipeline.
  • radiancef0rge
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    radiancef0rge ngon master
    Sukotto wrote: »
    I think one of the few holes is the 25k poly limit it has meaning you can't bake in Maya. It's not really an issue because I know a lot of people use xNormal anyway, it's just a little hitch if you want to keep the pipeline as inclusive as possible

Poly cap is 65,000 now. And you CAN bake in Maya LT. The polycap is simply for EXPORTING via FBX or OBJ. Also turtle is highly robust baking tool that is included in Maya LT
  • radiancef0rge
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    radiancef0rge ngon master
    Also very cool Paul :)
  • authentic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    heboltz3 wrote: »
    Here's a broad level question that a majority of people might be wondering.

What are the working differences between Maya 2014/15 and MayaLT?

Do you feel like there are any holes in your pipeline, or is it relatively comparable to that of the industry standard/student versions?

Well, at it's core, Maya LT is Maya for a cheaper price and has some functionality removed. MayaLT is geared specifically for game development and modding games so things like rendering, particles, simulation physics etc are removed. At first I was like WTF but as I use it, I realize how much I paid for rarely used fluff. I make game assets, not 20Billion dollar movies. For me its just really nice to know Ive got a workhorse like maya for a fraction of what I would be spending. My first run was to do some nice Dota assets just to get my feet wet, but im working on my own game and am using MayaLT exclusively to do my 3d. So far, ive yet to find a hole in my pipeline. I even get to ditch a few of my "extra" tools. I dont need a viewer, MayaLT has VP2.0 and SharedFX. I dont need xNormal, normal baking is built in and works AWESOME! Animation tools are available and unlike Modo steam edition, MayaLT is a professional tool able to make more than just sanctioned game assets. You can use it to make professional and distributable games with now worry of liscence issues.

To answer your question in short, I love MayaLT, its yet to fail me and I have yet to find a missing tool needed to get my items into dota, into Unity, or into Unreal.

IMHO, Autodesk is knocking it out of the park on this one. At first it was sorely limited, but the devs at autodesk are alert and fixed the issues quickly (low poly count gone, mel scripting added and a lot of other user complaints were addressed). Yea, its awesome and I love it. As for 2015, I cant wait to see what develops.
  • authentic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Also very cool Paul :)
    Thanks pal!
  • mazerius1st
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mazerius1st polycounter lvl 5
    Really cool and informative tutorial series. Just finished watching part 4 and can't wait to see your workflow in section 2. :D
  • ducckz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ducckz polycounter lvl 6
    thanks alot for this !
  • authentic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    my pleasure indeed. Thanks for watching =)
  • authentic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm really hoping section 2 posts up today.
  • authentic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Section 2 is now posted.