Home General Discussion

New modeller.

Good day my fellow forum go'ers,

Pretty dump question, but I want to learn about what got you really talented guys into modelling and what would you recommend for me to model I have a few ideas of what want to model but I want, more than one opinion.

Replies

• SuperFranky
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SuperFranky polycounter lvl 10
    I'm here purely by chance
  • Tadao215
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tadao215 polycounter lvl 13
    I've always been given advice on what to model, but really you should model what ever interests you. You'll do a better job if you love doing it
  • Tobbo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tobbo polycounter lvl 11
    Working on Mods for different games got me started. They're a blast and it's really cool being able to see your artwork work in a game environment almost instantly.

What kind of modeling are you interested in? Environment? Props? Characters? Weapons?
  • JordanN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanN interpolator
    I find modeling to be an extension of my storyboarding skills. I always liked drawing highly detailed scenes on paper and populating them with different objects.

3D modeling lets me take those cool scenes on paper and translate them into something more real.

As for stuff to model, it depends. As Tobbo says, what's your interest?
  • LMP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LMP polycounter lvl 13
    I started with playing PC games in the Late 90s, messed around with UnrealEd for UT, decided I wanted to make video games, did some C++ class my Freshman year of high school, discovered I didn't like doing Algebra homework, I loved Geometry though, I was a Junior in HS at that point, and I started getting into art... then I was a senior and was like... crap... what do I now? Then I found art school, started in 3D Modeling in the Animation department and then about a year in I was like... I really want to focus on Video Games, because, that is what I love. Then I finished all that and ended up here.
  • PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PyrZern polycounter lvl 12
    I'm not talented, but what got me interested in making 3d characters is because of an old MMORPG. Back then it was kind of like Runescape and Ragnarok Online and what not. Then there's trailer for an MMO called Project A3. And the 3d teaser / 3d fan art of the cover girl was super hot I was drooling over... Well, I meant it inspired me to be able to make something like that too. Right now I have little interest in make props or guns or monsters. Only characters.
  • heboltz3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    heboltz3 polycounter lvl 9
    I dont model.

If I did model, I'd model anything/everything I could.

Think sketch book, but 3d.
  • Makkon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Makkon polycounter
    Model what you want, man. Your interest in what to model will grow as your skills improve.
  • AA3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AA3D polycounter lvl 3
    i dont consider myself talented .
    but what got me into 3D ?

back in the days when my father brought our first computer .. my older brother got some 3D modeling program ( that i dont even know its name ).
    i was fascinated back then with the sample 3D head provided with the program ( that i spent hours rotating around it pretending to be doing something :D ) .

now skip the time .. when i finished my highschool . i was bored of the loads of free time i have everyday ... and i remembered that 3D program i used to like when i was a child ...
    so yeah ... googling that program that i dont know what it was called .

and i found some free 3D program ... it turned out to be A LOT easier than it was when i was a kid ( obviously )
    first few hours i actually made something ( not just rotating ) :D

skip time again .. here am i today :D still rotating

as for what to model ....
    anything ... just do it .. whatever it may be ... just open ur modeling program and start modeling instead of wasting your time in this thread ..

note to self : oh shit . iv done it again .. i need to disconnect from internet