Home General Discussion

Popcap Layoffs

Replies

• Karmageddon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Karmageddon polycounter lvl 7
    Yup, I know at least two good people who were let go today =/

Seriously though, my condolences. This sucks real bad.
  • D4V1DC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    D4V1DC polycounter lvl 18
    sry people, best of luck, hope you get something way better. :)
  • Karmageddon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Karmageddon polycounter lvl 7
    With his permission, I want to share this quote from Monte Michaelis, former PopCap art director. I think it's something that not enough people realize:

"Let me share with you, fellow entertainment professionals, this truth: The industry does not care about you. Your true friends, your trusted advocates, your select peers, and your honest mentors? They care about you. But the entity of the industry and those who are servants of that engine are not interested in your well-being. The industry loses no sleep as a result of your tears because it has no emotion in regard to you, or me, or anyone else.

I don't share this to demoralize you. I share this so that you will know that this is the reality of the world we operate in. We navigate these waters together. And, most importantly, so you will know that you have allies. Many, many allies. I share this with you so that you will know that you have people in your corner, and I am one of them."
  • Makkon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Makkon polycounter
    I used to believe that layoffs only happened to people who are "lazy" or "not up to par."
    Lately I've began to feel this is not the case. I guess the boss's mercedes payment is more important than keeping the talent around? Can someone explain to me the reason why layoffs actually happen?
  • RyanB
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Makkon wrote: »
    Can someone explain to me the reason why layoffs actually happen?

Because it is more profitable for that company to layoff people at this time.

If they believed those people were more profitable to keep, they would be kept.

Maximizing profit is the only goal of a publicly traded company. Every decision is based on that single goal.
  • dfacto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dfacto polycounter lvl 18
    Makkon wrote: »
    I used to believe that layoffs only happened to people who are "lazy" or "not up to par."
    Lately I've began to feel this is not the case. I guess the boss's mercedes payment is more important than keeping the talent around? Can someone explain to me the reason why layoffs actually happen?

You confused "laid off" for "fired". You're fired because you suck, you're laid off because you don't fit into the corporate plan anymore.
  • ambershee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ambershee polycounter lvl 17
    Trouble is it would seem in EA terms, you don't fit into the plan any more the day your product ships. EA must have let go 1500 people since the beginning of last year, and that just smacks of really, really shitty management.
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dfacto wrote: »
    You confused "laid off" for "fired". You're fired because you suck, you're laid off because you don't fit into the corporate plan anymore.
    Mechanically, from the employee point of view, it's the same thing though.
  • Cibo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cibo polycounter lvl 10
    *conspiracy*

Maybe the schools have produced enough 3d artists and the studios can recruit now cheaper with a oversupply on workforce. Maybe many artists work now for a lower payment in the old studio.
  • low odor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    low odor polycounter lvl 17
    Cibo wrote: »
    *conspiracy*

Maybe the schools have produced enough 3d artists and the studios can recruit now cheaper with a oversupply on workforce. Maybe many artists work now for a lower payment in the old studio.

I always thought this was a strange mentality. Let's hire 5 cheap guys that barely know what they are doing, to replace the one expensive guy that knows exactly what he's doing. Like some how the cumulative experience will add up to make a suitable replacement.

Popcap made some crazy good games. Hopefully something new will rise from the people EA discarded.
  • ae.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ae. polycounter lvl 12
    sorry to hear about the layoffs, piranha is hiring:

http://piranhagames.com/#CAREERS
  • ExcessiveZero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ExcessiveZero polycounter lvl 6
    Another day another set of layoffs.