Home General Discussion

Time lapse videos/courses or real time?

Regarding courses and videos showing sculpting process, texturing, modeling and what not/ I have seen many people do timelapse videos. How should me,or someone like me as aspiring modeler to learn these things. When instead showing step-by-step how things are done, to explain etc etc. I just see videos "Watch me sculpt" or "Watch me model" And those coursed cost $1000 or more.

What it is your opinion? Thoughts? Advice?

After all, i know that real time takes more time, but isn't that better for newbie to see actually what it is happening with commentary? That can be broken in couple videos 2-3h each video.

Replies

• ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Time lapse videos show the workflow and larger scale problem solving, these videos are for people that already know the basics, and sometimes even pros that want to take a look at a different workflow.

Step by step videos are just for learning the tool. Once you've seen someone model something step by step a few times, it's not as helpful, and ends up being slow and tedious to watch. Even videos where they show things step by step, if they are repeating things or polishing details, they will often speed it up.

A good mix of both is best when you are starting out.
  • SuperFranky
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SuperFranky polycounter lvl 10
    Step by step videos are painful to watch and are nothing but a waste of time for people who just want to see new techniques and overall workflow. But they are super useful for novices. So it depends on an audience.