Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Industrial Door Made with NDo2.

Hey all,

I crated this door in Photoshop using nDo2 to brush up my texturing skills and test new workflows etc. The bricks were made in Zbrush.

Here's how it's looking so far. Having trouble getting the right glossiness on the windows in Marmoset for some reason, I prefer the glossy darker look I got with Cryengine. Pretty happy with the rest of it so far though, looking forward to your crits & comments!

O0Amjar.jpg

dGSPxoA.png

Replies

• LMP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LMP polycounter lvl 13
    Not bad, the hinges do feel a little big. But, overall, nice.
  • Arron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LMP wrote: »
    Not bad, the hinges do feel a little big. But, overall, nice.

Thanks for the feedback. :)
  • Particle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hehe you know 3DMotive.com ? Strangely, there's a course where you learn how to create an industrial door with nDo and present the work into CE3...
  • MeshModeler
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MeshModeler polycounter lvl 11
    Particle wrote: »
    Hehe you know 3DMotive.com ? Strangely, there's a course where you learn how to create an industrial door with nDo and present the work into CE3...

what he said. regardless, great execution :)
  • Arron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Yeah that's the tutorial I'm following.
  • Particle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The problem isn't the fact to follow a course. The problem is that the author of the thread present this work as his own... You may precise that this is a practice and use this tutorial as a base. Use the knowledge you got with this course to create your own art.

And IMO, you should avoid to put this work onto your portfolio. Create your own work :)
  • Arron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The problem isn't the fact to follow a course. The problem is that the author of the thread present this work as his own... You may precise that this is a practice and use this tutorial as a base. Use the knowledge you got with this course to create your own art.

And IMO, you should avoid to put this work onto your portfolio. Create your own work :)

It's not on my portfolio, and it looks very different from the 3D motive one & also includes workflows from a range of other tutorials.

If I was going to be misleading about it I don't think I'd have made it so obvious in the title, nor would I have mentioned it so openly on my twitter feed :P

@MeshModeler thanks :) Any crits/ things I can improve?
  • Particle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It's just for you dude :)
    Many companies won't choose you if they see a work made with a course. And yeah your work, is a bit different from 3DMotive's one, but the scratch on the glass is exactly the same, the global shape looks quite similar...

Again, it's just for you :) and try to make another work about the same subject. It's very rewarding when you see that you have integrated pro's techniques in your workflow'
  • dpadam450
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dpadam450 polycounter lvl 9
    "The problem is that the author of the thread present this work as his own..."

It looks plenty different from the 3dMotive one that I just looked at. I suggest the windows be made 3d. They look really flat and the normals built into the texture. For about 16 more tri's you can make those geometry. Same with the 2 panels halfway down (4 the 4 screws), make those thin cubes to give them a 3d look instaed of flat. Same with the metal grating. You could put cubes there very thin to give it a tad bit of 3d. I would also maybe give more specular to the bottom grating.
  • Particle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    And maybe you can add some stickers or logos to increase the realism of your door ;)
  • Arron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dpadam450 wrote: »
    "The problem is that the author of the thread present this work as his own..."

It looks plenty different from the 3dMotive one that I just looked at. I suggest the windows be made 3d. They look really flat and the normals built into the texture. For about 16 more tri's you can make those geometry. Same with the 2 panels halfway down (4 the 4 screws), make those thin cubes to give them a 3d look instaed of flat. Same with the metal grating. You could put cubes there very thin to give it a tad bit of 3d. I would also maybe give more specular to the bottom grating.
    Great feedback, thanks. I will have a play around in Maya and see what I can do.
    And maybe you can add some stickers or logos to increase the realism of your door ;)
    Will do! Once I've nailed the workflow I'm going to include it in a larger scene so I was thinking about leaving stickers & extra grunge for the decals instead to help keep it modular. :)