Home Technical Talk

dynamesh

mikejkelley
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
mikejkelley polycounter lvl 18
I'm tired of searching. I have two dynamesh objects. One I can change the resolution by using the slider and remeshing, the other I can not change the resolution of. What's the magic button I need to push to make sure I can move up and down resolutions in dynamesh similar to SDiv?! THnx.

Replies

• SaboR1996
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SaboR1996 polycounter lvl 8
    You can't once you dynamesh a model you cant change the level of detail that the model is.
  • ahtiandr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ahtiandr polycounter lvl 12
    dynamesh will auto retopo your mesh which means all the sundivs will be deleted. You can also set the resolution of dynamesh and this will be your final and only subdiv
  • Baron Flame
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Baron Flame polycounter lvl 12
    ahtiandr wrote: »
    dynamesh will auto retopo your mesh which means all the sundivs will be deleted. You can also set the resolution of dynamesh and this will be your final and only subdiv

This. You can't change subdivision level on the fly like you can if you weren't using it, however, you can increase or decrease your resolution, though it is important to remember that every time you increase or decrease your resolution, ZBrush will re-dynamesh your mesh.
  • passerby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    passerby polycounter lvl 12
    Ya use dynamesh to get your base shapes, but once you want to do fine details, just subdivide like normal and ignore dynamesh
  • mikejkelley
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mikejkelley polycounter lvl 18
    Ok I figured it out. You can't change the dynamesh's resolution unless you first modify the subtool. Ie, you must make some change to the subtool, no matter how insignificant, before you can change the dynamesh's resolution. BTW, I said "similar" to subdivisions lol.
  • Baron Flame
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Baron Flame polycounter lvl 12
    You can't change the dynamesh's resolution unless you first modify the subtool. Ie, you must make some change to the subtool, no matter how insignificant, before you can change the dynamesh's resolution.

Yup, I just use smoothing with minimal intensity over an area which is smooth anyway then re-dynamesh it. Though I hardly see the need to change my resolution mid way most of the times. The good thing about it is that when you re-dynamesh it, it fixes most of your problems. The only time I consider doing it is when two separate surfaces are so close that dynamesh welds them together at low resolutions.