Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

ECGC art contest submission

polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
Misciagno3d polycounter lvl 4
Hello polycount, I'm entering an art contest that my school is going to be holding at the East Coast Gaming Contest(ECGC) and was looking for some critique on my submission. I took Andreas Von Cotta's gun concept(from conceptartworld.com) and modeled everything I could make sense of from the one reference. I tried to change it up a bit and make the gun dirty and worn with some random details and also make the metal materials a bit more interesting.

YjHxaRK.jpg

dynWnTO.jpg

tvaLxFZ.jpg

Bw72KfP.jpg

Replies

• Deforges
    Offline / Send Message
    Deforges polycounter lvl 11
    Sometimes it's difficult to do when you're in the process of making a model, but take a step back and come back in a few minutes and take a look at this model. Does it look realistic? Does it accomplish the look you're trying to go for?

This is a picture of an ak-74m
    AK-74M.jpg

What's interesting about this picture is that the color of each part of the gun is the same. The only thing different are the actual materials they are made out of. Even though everything is the same color you can very well tell which parts are rubber, which are metal, and plastic.

Now look at this Styrofoam gun
    mass_effect_predator_pistol_styrofoam_prop_by_benjaminsorrow-d5d4080.jpg

It's very easy, just by looking, that this is not a real gun. The only definition in terms of texture that differentiates is color, otherwise the material reacts the same all over.

Now look at your model and ask yourself, "Are my materials defined like the real gun or the styrofoam one?"

As for now I would say styrofoam. It looks to only be diffuse which is fine, but even then you can fake material definition like so
    1.jpg

What you need to do is get a way to preview your models in a real-time shader. Something like marmoset or cryengine. You really need that to accurately judge your materials. Just be honest with yourself, look at what others have done to accomplish what you're trying to do. Great artists steal, they take what they see from others and apply it to their own works. If you stick with it you'll be making great stuff.
  • Misciagno3d
    Offline / Send Message
    Misciagno3d polycounter lvl 4
    I see what you mean. I'm glad that you like the diffuse though. I think I will look up some tutorials on importing models and setting up the shaders in cryengine because I like the way it handles lighting. Thanks for the input! I think the bump map on the metal area is giving it that styrofoam look.