Home Technical Talk

Maya to UDK multi shaders assigning

Odins3d
polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
Odins3d polycounter lvl 5
Im trying to create a layered shader in UDK. In Maya I have a repeatable texture brick wall as my base and a damage/dirt pass shader. My issues is that I need to assign multiple materials to one object in UDK. I have been able to create multiple material set but I can get it to work on the entire object. Lastly I need to be able to overlay one material over the other.

If you need screens of more explanation please let me know.

Replies

• passerby
    Offline / Send Message
    passerby polycounter lvl 12
    just apply multiple materials to one object, thats all you have to do.

IF your talking about layer shader that you paint with vertex colour, juse use 1 material ID, and make the shader that can do that in udk.
  • Odins3d
    Offline / Send Message
    Im not really sure what you mean by vertex colour
  • Vailias
    Offline / Send Message
    Vailias polycounter lvl 18
    Assuming you have a base wall that you then want to be able to show dirt and damage in some areas, you'll just built both shader chains in the UDK shader editor, then select which one is displayed by some form of mask.

The masking behavior is most easily carried out with a lerp node. You'll need one per material channel that is altered in the upper layer.

Just take teh diffuse channel as an example.

Create a lerp node. Plug in your base texture to A, and your damaged texture to B, then your mask to Alpha. Plug the output of the lerp into the diffuse of the shader.

If the mask is greyscale, you'll get even transitions. if its color, you'll have a mask per color channel.
  • Odins3d
    Offline / Send Message
    I can't believe it was so simple that worked perfectly thank you so much. Just wasted the day on one node.