Home Dota 2

Dota 2 Monthly Community 'Noob' Challenge - March 2014

Replies

• ShinigamiYaiba
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ShinigamiYaiba polycounter lvl 5
    Anyone know what brush in ZBrush would be good to make cuts and scrapes in the blade?
  • belkun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    belkun polycounter lvl 7
    Orb_Cracks is pretty much the most popular brush for cuts and stuff like that, especially for hardsurface modelling.
  • ShinigamiYaiba
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks belkun!!!! :)
  • sapolini
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I continued working with my sword for WKing. I thought it was 350 tris maximum, but it is only 300 in that particular case. I am preserving my old lowpoly (348tris) for doing the LOD0, upgrading it to 500 or 550 (max 600).

This is my progress. I do almost all the work yesterday but I need to finish the color map, repair the normal map and create mask1 and mask2. Also, I need to rig it later.

espada_wk_Pres_1_jpg.jpg
  • sapolini
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I finished the textures and I am going to rig the LOD0 and LOD1.

wk_espadas_Pres_2_jpg.jpg
  • GhostDetector
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GhostDetector polycounter lvl 10
    Can you post your color map? it looks kind of plain.

Take a look at this
    http://www.polycount.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1945494&postcount=55
  • sapolini
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Can you post your color map? it looks kind of plain.

Take a look at this
    http://www.polycount.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1945494&postcount=55

Ouch! Thanks for that! I was looking for some guide about that!
    I use the cavity on bottom, color in middle and normals mixed but the I really played with the % and mixing ways.

This is the color map in 256x256 (I am working at 1024x1024) but for see how it would look ingame.

color_wk_polycount_256.jpg
  • cagdasx44
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Try to play with the yellows especially the ones in the sword.
  • sapolini
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    These are the final results. I am a little busy this week, so probable i will not change nothing else because I expent many time and It seems this post hasn't a lot of activity. If I see more movement at the end of the month I will try to improve it!

Pres_2_psd_turntable.jpg

Pres_3_mosaico.jpg

Thanks for the feedback guys! I learn a lot everyday in this forum ;)
  • GhostDetector
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Try to bring out the edges more. Cavity map should've done the trick, just try duplicating while the cavitymap is on the softlight or overlay blending mode.
  • ShinigamiYaiba
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here are my high poly sculpts. Looking for some feed back before I pull the Normals and start retopoligizing.
    SJHuSVp.jpg
    pnUmIDo.jpg
  • GhostDetector
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @ShinigamiYaiba
    You should try to not have holes inbetween your mesh, the model will end up to have a lot of tris.
    There should also be some sort of weathering, like cracks or some scraps along the side. Just so it looks like its been used.
  • ShinigamiYaiba
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I tried using orb-crack brush but I think my blade is thin and kept pushing through the other side.
  • belkun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    belkun polycounter lvl 7
    @sapolini

Solid start! I just think that you should bring the edges out more, like GhostDetector said. Also, if you have spare tris, would be really cool to add some more geo to the gem.

@ShinigamiYaiba

Go to the Brush menu, Auto Masking and turn on BackfaceMask.
  • sapolini
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    belkun wrote: »
    @sapolini

Solid start! I just think that you should bring the edges out more, like GhostDetector said. Also, if you have spare tris, would be really cool to add some more geo to the gem.

@ShinigamiYaiba

Go to the Brush menu, Auto Masking and turn on BackfaceMask.

I am not really sure about what you mean with "brig the edges out" sorry, but I am not native english.

I only have 2 spare tris hehe, it is 298 and the maximum for WK is 300. I can do with the lod0 wich has a max of 600.
  • belkun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    belkun polycounter lvl 7
    sapolini wrote: »
    I am not really sure about what you mean with "brig the edges out" sorry, but I am not native english.

I only have 2 spare tris hehe, it is 298 and the maximum for WK is 300. I can do with the lod0 wich has a max of 600.

The sword is a bit too flat, looking like just a plane. Try adding some more highlights on edges to make them pop a bit more, to give it some more of that "3Dness".
  • sapolini
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    belkun wrote: »
    The sword is a bit too flat, looking like just a plane. Try adding some more highlights on edges to make them pop a bit more, to give it some more of that "3Dness".

Ah ok! Yes, Looking it now, I can see is really plane. I will try to expand it without re-doing the texturing.
  • sapolini
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nobody else is trying it this month? :(
  • ShinigamiYaiba
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @sapolini

I am participating. Working on lowering my polycount.
  • sapolini
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @sapolini

I am participating. Working on lowering my polycount.

Whay are u finaly doing with your holes? Doing with geometry or using alpha chanel on the color map?

I want to see your final model ;)
  • ShinigamiYaiba
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Whay are u finaly doing with your holes? Doing with geometry or using alpha chanel on the color map?

I want to see your final model ;)

Probably alhpa map for the eyes with the normal map of the eyes should work. I am not sure as of yet. I have tomorrow off of work trying to break down my polys and start texturing. I have not work much with normal maps and importing models into a game. This is a big learning experience for me.
  • ShinigamiYaiba
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I have a question about the LOD 0 and LOD 1. Do we make two seperate models one with more polys than the other? I imported the DragonKnight model and there is only one weapon model in it.
  • cagdasx44
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    People generallt do a Lod0 first, then after unwrapping they lower its tris without changing its UV map so they have 2 models with some UV map and colors but the one in portrait (Lod0) has more tris in order to give model a better look.
    But you dont have to make lod0, it is just a option.
  • ShinigamiYaiba
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I am trying to optimize my base mesh into a lower poly mesh. I am not sure where to start. I am over 3,000 tris and I need to be closer to 300. Any suggestions?

FEdYoU5.png
    cV1pnPs.png
  • waffles.c
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    waffles.c polycounter lvl 5
    Here's what I got. Texture is WIP thinking about adding some green glow to the etching on the hand guard. Its a a sword for wraith king. The more I look at it it kind of doesn't fit him. Needs to be more dead looking.
    vtit.png
  • sapolini
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    What happens with this noob challenge?
  • belkun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    belkun polycounter lvl 7
    What happens with this noob challenge?

Well, to be honest, I don't think that the Noob Challenge is being that useful. There's only a handful of people posting here, and most of the times only on the beginning of the month, then it slowly dies off. I also don't really have that much time to set up the thread and to give a lot of feedback. I feel that the Monthly Competition is a bit better for this, with a set theme every month, even though it isn't really focused on noobs, it's still a nice way to start.

If anyone wants to keep the challenge going, I'd gladly pass the torch and support it the best I can, but for now I feel that it's a bit pointless, specially with all of this stuff going on at the Workshop, making it even harder for someone new to break through. I'd also suggest that if you need help, setup your personal thread and ask for feedback. Also if you need something else, feel free to add me on Steam or drop me a PM here, I'm always super happy to help people out!
  • Odow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Odow polycounter lvl 8
    This is a cool idea however. It should be on main topic, but not something about dota, just the "create a weapon/props" with this silhouette part.

We already have character and environment monthly, but the environment is 90% of the time Sc FI and photo realistic, which is boring for lot of people.

A simple "Silhouette prop challenger" would be a really nice idea on the main thread, pretty sure many people would do it, It take way less time then a character or a complete environment plus it's really open to creativity since you have to design from a silhouette.

By example, I'm a Lol player, so yeah never look dota stuff on polycount (and i think many of us never look at workshop) I found this thread look for the april character challenge so yeah.. I though it was a really great idea but the"you need to make it in dota or w/e" part really cool me down.

I'm sorry for my crappy answer,i t's late T_T but

tl:dr forgot dota, go on main thread and start a Monthly Silhouette Props Challenge ! Giving a basic silhouette of a weapon or a prop and asking people to create something that keep the general shape. It would please every style ! Realistic, high poly, low, stylized even concept artist could participate with just the design part!