Home Contests & Challenges Archives Team Fortress 2

Trying to replace a model/skin made with the Beta Importer

So I made a working model using the importer method, but since I can't legally use it as a workshop item submission I wanted to use it as a reskin of an existing model. I can't seem to find any pointers on how to do this online as well as I seem to keep coming up with problems with this studiomdl compiler everyone tells me to use.

Replies

• EmAr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EmAr polycounter lvl 18
    Good news is you don't have to use studiomdl for this if your model works fine in the test map.

The two items need to have the same properties in terms of paintability/styles.

Try this:

- Go to your "Steam\SteamApps\common\Team Fortress 2\tf\workshop" folder. Open the corresponding zip file.
    - Go to this folder: "Steam\SteamApps\common\Team Fortress 2\tf\custom" and create a new folder for your reskin. I'll call the new folder "ABC"
    - From the zip file, extract the contents of the game folder into ABC. You should have a materials and a models folder in ABC now. You can close the zip file at this point.
    - Using GCFScape, find the model files of the item you want to replace.
    - Inside "ABC/models" folder, create the same file structure for the model files and put the model files into the corresponding folder.
    - Rename your model files so they match with the item to be replaced.

If everything went well you should see your model instead of the original one when you launch the game.

Optionally, you can drag/drop ABC folder onto the vpk.exe in "Steam\SteamApps\common\Team Fortress 2\bin" to pack your reskin. It places the file in the custom folder, so you won't need to do anything.

I hope I didn't skip any steps. Good luck!
  • turpinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I have one question about the first part, when I unpack the zip I get two folders, one labelled "content" and the other "game", and a "manifest.txt". I have a fairly large custom folder already, so I think I know how the structure works (pretty much the same folders that are found in the root "tf" folder) so how would I add it?
  • EmAr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EmAr polycounter lvl 18
    By opening the zip file, I mean opening it with winzip or something like that. There's no extraction operations other than the third step.
  • turpinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nono, I have no issues with unzipping it, it's the folders I'm given when I do that I'm confused about.

EDIT: Wait nevermind, I just realized I'M the one that didn't understand the information you gave me, I apologize.
  • turpinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alright, now I'm coming across a new problem I didn't see when I used the importer for the hat. The hat in question is full-head for the Scout and I need the headphones removed from the equation as well for it. I assumed unchecking the box for the headset bodygroup would fix things in the importer, but it didn't. Help?
  • EmAr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EmAr polycounter lvl 18
    I should've included this one as well. You need to replace an item which removes the headphones for that. Checking the boxes doesn't affect this when you replace an existing item.

No problem BTW, it's frustrating at first.
  • turpinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I used the Spiral Sallet, does that not remove them? I could've sworn they did...