Home Dota 2

Official Guidelines about Gore?

Hello everbody!

I am doodling a few things right now and some got very brutal. That made me wonder if there is an official statement from valve about the level of gore they can tolerate?

I know there are those censored/enhanced models that chinese players see (lifestealer,lich etc), but those only really deal with skulls. On the other hand there are quite a few items in Dota depicting skulls...

Has anyone had some experience with this? Maybe someone was asked to alter an item that valve wanted to have in the game?

Replies

• Reyne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Reyne polycounter lvl 6
    I have not had anything accepted but I am pretty sure that skulls and stuff are fine, they just wont be available on the Chinese store, should they be accepted.

As far as gore goes, I would use existing material as a guide, think Pudge's everything, Phantom Assassin's Coup de Grace, Lifestealer. I think things can be violent and grotesque, just don't make them off putting.
  • BrontoThunder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BrontoThunder polycounter lvl 13
    For my Lifestealer set and for the Pudge set Danidem and I are working on there's a version with blood and a version without blood. If you make something which is gory make sure there's a simple way to remove the gore without destroying the set otherwise be aware that it won't be able to be sold in China.
  • MdK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MdK polycounter lvl 9
    Bronto, doesn't your set still use his bottom jaw with teeth in it? This version of Naix was removed from the Chinese store anyway and replaced with the metal jaw. So I'm not sure having a no blood version will make much difference =/
  • BrontoThunder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MdK wrote: »
    Bronto, doesn't your set still use his bottom jaw with teeth in it? This version of Naix was removed from the Chinese store anyway and replaced with the metal jaw. So I'm not sure having a no blood version will make much difference =/
    The metal jaw has been changed to a separate model.
    5946-dota2_ls_censored.png
    The previous version was used up until Lifestealer was broken down for cosmetics.

At this point Valve are most likely going to create a low violence version of his base model to allow for Lifestealer cosmetics in China.
  • MdK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MdK polycounter lvl 9
    The metal jaw has been changed to a separate model.

The previous version was used up until Lifestealer was broken down for cosmetics.

At this point Valve are most likely going to create a low violence version of his base model to allow for Lifestealer cosmetics in China.

I see, probably a good thing, as that mask is horrible!
  • GhostDetector
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GhostDetector polycounter lvl 10
    Well the metal jaw is just the default head slot item for lifestealer.
  • BrontoThunder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well the metal jaw is just the default head slot item for lifestealer.

No it isn't?
  • GhostDetector
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GhostDetector polycounter lvl 10
    It looks like it. Just for the china version though, i'm pretty sure that the default non-censored has no head slot default item (all base)(i'm not sure about lifestealer, never worked on him)
  • hadidjah
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hadidjah polycounter lvl 8
    I think everyone basically has you covered, but here's what I know for sure:

Human bones are definitely out. I think blood is commonly turned a non-human color, when it's used at all. If Pudge's belly were still open they would have had to stitch it up anyhow, so I'm guessing his Intestines of Insanity piece didn't make it to China. I think steering clear of putting bits that are supposed to be on the inside on the outside is probably you're safest bet, unless you just don't care if it's sold in China or not.
    BrontoThunder's alternate versions is also a great suggestion.

Sorry that's not much, but I hope it helps!