Home Dota 2

Animationcat Workshop - with twitch stream!

Hey guys, just documenting my process for some DOTA2 cosmetics, first one I am doing is a weapon for Axe. I have streamed my work on this on twitchtv, you can see the videos or live work here:
Animationcat on Twitch.tv

Okay I started off doing a bunch of thumbnails to get an idea of what I wanted to do.

omhI2tj.jpg

Mia40CY.jpg

I liked the idea of the sword/axe thing, some of the other ideas Ithink I will go back to later, especially the dragon type ones.
2ksXcqg.jpg
I wasn't sure if this would fit in well with the in game character model and animations, so I made a quick low poly mesh and imported it into the game. You can see that I was right to worry, the model is badly clipping into the characters body.
4nXW9oK.jpg
I had an idea just to cut out the parts of the blade that were causing problems, and messed with the symmetry at the top of the blade, and ended up with a really cool shape that I decided to continue with.
3XKCybk.jpg
Just to make sure things were good I made a low poly of this one and checked it out in the game...all good!
vVT5a5d.jpg

So, now that I have a shape that I like, time to work out some colours to use. I decided that I wanted this to be a weapon that had been specially made for a general, who was unfortunate enough to get taken out by Axe at some point. I wanted it to look elegant but still nasty, like a samurai axe kind of thing.
FghKGpv.jpg
I liked the last one, but ended up changing the colours just a bit, as you can see in the final concept below.
hGiSQfa.jpg

So now that I have the concept, it's time to venture in to the foggy area(for me) of modelling and sculpting a high res version.

Here you can see my first attempt, I wasn't happy with the readability of the sculpting from a distance, so I decided to redo the blades.
6iWEHsg.jpg

More to come.

Replies