Home Technical Talk

New to UVW unwrap & Normal maps

Hello guys,

I'm new to 3D Modelling and for the moment, I'm working on the 3D Motive tutorial 'The Briefcase'. Great tutorial so far! I just finished my lowpoly and now it's time to start the UVW unwrap.

I find this subject very difficult and complicated. The tutor explains everything very well but still I'm having a lot of questions ('Why does he do that?'). That's why I bought a tutorial from Digital Tutors which is specifically aimed at the UVW Unwrap proces. Hopefully, this will answer a lot of questions.

I noticed that there are scripts/programs on the market which helps to speed up/improve the process of UVW unwrapping and creating normal maps. Scripts like textools for example. I'm using Max 2014 and I red that textools is implemented in the 2014 version so no need to download that script I guess (?).

Besides that, there are programs like Ndo, Roadkill etc. Are any of these programs really 'lifechangers'? Programs that really improve the quality/speed of the process/final result? Because there are so many out there, I could use someone to point me in the right direction.

In most tutorials, they just use the uvw unwrap modifier, textools and photoshop. But some of those tutorials are a few years old. Maybe there have been released some revolutionary programs in the meanwhile? :)

So my question: which programs/scrips/plug-ins should I really take a look at?

Thanks in advance for any answers!

Vince

Replies

• Damian Nachman
    Offline / Send Message
    Damian Nachman polycounter lvl 6
    I Have found that the best way to improve your UV Unwrapping, is to just do it alot.
    Plug-ins and scripts can be helpful, but they won't do the work for you.
    UV unwrapping is pure problem solving, and the more you do it, the easier it will get.
    Once you feel compfortable with assist-less unwrapping, then I recommend that you start looking at ways to accelerate the process.
    But for now,Just unwrap every single model you build.
  • Brick Top
    Thanks for your answer, I'll keep that in mind!

I'm currently working on a tutorial and this is what I got so far.

As you can see, the pattern on part 3 looks 'mirrored'. On part 1 and 2, it looks ok. Part 1, 2 and 3 are the same (instances). Why does it looks good on 1 and 2 and why does it looks bad on 3? And, is this a problem?

Another question. In the tutorial, they tell me to 'Select inverted polygons' and flip them till there are no more inverted polygons which get selected automatically by Max. Some of those 'inverted' polygons don't look inverted in the viewport (I'm looking at the checker pattern). Who do I have to trust? The checker pattern? Or Max which says 'Those polys are inverted'?

Third and last question, the Relax option. Is there a difference between pressing 'Start relaxing' and 'Apply'? Because 'Start Relaxing' seems to take a while. 'Apply' seems to give instant result and I can't see the difference...

Thanks in advance for possible answers!
  • Stromberg90
    Offline / Send Message
    Stromberg90 polycounter lvl 11
    rotate part3 180 degrees in the uv window.
  • makinmagic3
    Offline / Send Message
    makinmagic3 polycounter lvl 11
    Brick Top wrote: »
    Third and last question, the Relax option. Is there a difference between pressing 'Start relaxing' and 'Apply'? Because 'Start Relaxing' seems to take a while. 'Apply' seems to give instant result and I can't see the difference...

Think of "start relaxing" as a video ... you can watch it while it does it's work, along with pausing/ stopping it anytime you desire and that'll be the result your going to get.

However I noticed when using "apply" it applies the settings you chosen (from the pop-up) and does the result right there and then (being instant).
    Also I think the apply button applies the settings, so you don't have to keep opening the pop-up and you can click the relax button.
  • Brick Top
    rotate part3 180 degrees in the uv window.

Doesn't solve it I'm afraid. Part 3 still looks mirrored. Thanks for your help!
    Think of "start relaxing" as a video ... you can watch it while it does it's work, along with pausing/ stopping it anytime you desire and that'll be the result your going to get.

However I noticed when using "apply" it applies the settings you chosen (from the pop-up) and does the result right there and then (being instant).
    Also I think the apply button applies the settings, so you don't have to keep opening the pop-up and you can click the relax button.

Ok, thanks!
  • Stromberg90
    Offline / Send Message
    Stromberg90 polycounter lvl 11
    True, you need to flip it after, was in a hurry earlier :D

There should be a tool called flip or mirror in the 3ds max unwrap editor.
    You can find all the information for free on the internet by looking around some and experimenting.
    But 3Dmotive also has a tutorial that might fit you better
    Intro to UVW Unwrapping for 3ds Max
  • SaboR1996
    Offline / Send Message
    SaboR1996 polycounter lvl 8
    You want normal map bakes. xnormal is your friend.
  • Brick Top
    Thanks for the answers guys, very much appreciated!