Home Contests & Challenges Archives Team Fortress 2

Trying to model a Sandvich-Type Item

So I have my model and textures for an item to fit in the slot that a sandvich normally occupies on a heavy, but this is the first time I've modelled a "weapon" let alone a food item.

My main concern is placement, I don't know where to put the item in relation to the bone compared to hats, which are seemingly easier. Do I need to take a stab in the dark and just guess or is there a better method. All of the tutorials I've seen on modelling are on hats, so I really don't know much.

Replies

• EmAr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EmAr polycounter lvl 18
    Hey, there's a good way to do this. Extract and decompile the sandwich model. Import its reference file and place your item according to the sandwich. Then delete the sandwich.

The tools you need are:
    - GCFScape: https://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/GCFScape
    - Cannonfodders's mdl decompiler: https://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Mdldecompiler

The mdl file for the sandwich should be inside tf2_misc_dir.vpk.

Good luck!
  • turpinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Really? That's it? I don't need a bone or anything? I expected the process to be harder for some reason...
  • EmAr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EmAr polycounter lvl 18
    Sorry, I forgot this was your first time with weapons.

You'll be using the bone(s) from the sandwich smd file if that's what you mean. You don't need to create new bones if you can get away with using the same bones.

Also, you need to compile the model manually. If you have no idea about that, you should watch something like this:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TTY0U8UL8Ts"]TF2 3Ds Max Weapon Tutorial + GUIStudioMDL (Complete guide!) - YouTube[/ame]

However, you don't have to use GUIStudiomdl.exe. If it doesn't work for some reason, you can just drag and drop your qc file onto the studiomdl.exe at your "SteamApps\common\Team Fortress 2\bin" folder. You can't read error messages, if any, that way though.
  • turpinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alright, so I have the model for the most part done, and I have everything all setup, but since yesterday I've been having a hell of a time trying to make GUIStudiomdl work. I have the path for TF2 setup fine, that's not the issue, the issue lies when I try to compile my model with it. It tries to, then gives me a "can't find steam app user info" error. I've tried looking it up everywhere but I can't seem to find any concrete answers on this issue, at least when it comes to modelling for TF.
  • heinous
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i stopped using guistudiomdl.

just use regular studiomdl. it's in common/team fortress 2/bin

drag your qc over it
  • turpinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm getting this error when I do (sorry for the poor quality, I don't remember the command to freeze the window to let me read it):
    http://gyazo.com/a09026fbddd4b60b992dd60656b7ad0e
  • EmAr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EmAr polycounter lvl 18
    How many materials are supposed to be in your model? Better check your reference smd file. Here's what you'll need to look out for:
    triangles
    material_name_here
    0 1.004950 1.929217 -5.096008 0.000366 0.000000 1.000000 0.053358 0.037104 1 1 1.000000
    0 1.507297 1.065015 -5.096196 0.000366 0.000000 0.999969 0.031726 0.111726 1 1 1.000000
    0 1.506832 1.929486 -5.096196 0.000366 0.000000 0.999969 0.031726 0.037104 1 1 1.000000

A triangle is defined in the part above. You see where the material name goes. If you have lots of different names on that part for different triangles, you probably need to go back to your modeling program and limit your material count to a reasonable number or remove the materials applied by mistake.
  • turpinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hmm, ok. I'll take a look at it.

EDIT: Nope, every single triangle on the list uses only the one material.
  • turpinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Really needing that help, I realize I'm being a pest, but it's frustrating being so close to done only to be stopped by some unknown problem.