Home Technical Talk

Preview Texture in Marmoset for game engine ?

Hi eveyone !

I'm new with Marmoset Engine, and there are some thing I didn't figuring out :poly127:

Marmoset use PBR system, and it's awesome to work with. But it require a different workflow.

Normally, I create my texture in Photoshop ( traditional shading texture with DIff, Spec and gloss ) and preview it in Marmoset, and it look good, but when I brought in to UE 3, it's look crap, because basically they are different Shading, UE 3 didn't use PBR.

what I don't understand is I saw people do it all the time, they preview their texture in Marmoset while working, and still keep the same quality ( or atleast close ) in UDK.

for example, here is a tutorials from Quixel, he used skyshop to preview ( ksyshop as far as I know use PBL too ) and when every thing come in to UDK, it's stunning

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cuVzQKJjKVo"]dDo Quickie - Basic workflow - YouTube[/ame]

cryochamber_environment_by_beere-d5u3w19.jpg

Replies

• thomasp
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    sounds like the work you have seen was done previewing in toolbag 1.x. that one doesn't use PBR. output looks similar to what i've seen of skyshop. downside is they are no longer selling that one.

i don't know toolbag 2. is there no choice but to use PBR in there?
  • praetus
    Offline / Send Message
    praetus interpolator
    you can totally still use the "old" method of showing off models in Marmoset 2. I upgraded and use it to preview my textures at work as I create them. It's way easier than going back and forth in VBS2.
  • Nathan Nguyen
    ^ of course using Marmoset is benefit, but I can't get it to work with UDK :(
  • praetus
    Offline / Send Message
    praetus interpolator
    It's going to be based on how you set up your materials. There is no easy way to say it but his stuff he shows in that video is pretty much the old method (non-pbr). Diffuse, spec, gloss, and normals. You can even fake PBR in UDK by creating custom shaders. I guess what I am getting at is that if your stuff looks completely amazingin Marmoset2 and you're not using the PBR method and it looks like crap in UDK then you need to spend time creating better materials. UDK is super powerful and while it doesn't have PBR by default it's still possible to get great results.

It also may give you better results in marmoset to create custom point or spot lights and turn off the PBR lighting. It may show more true to how it will look in UDK.