Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Characters- Father, Daughter, Robot

Replies

• Zeldrik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zeldrik polycounter lvl 18
    Great improvements he is definitely looking much better.
    I still think the eye areas need work though.

This website has some great reference for sculpture artists.
    http://anatomy4sculptors.com/?menu=9&sub=17#body

I recommend the block-outs and secret sections.
  • JordanLeigh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanLeigh polycounter lvl 9
    Here's the low poly of the father, hope it looks oky, just slapped some colour on to differenciate parts.

ZgOgiRI.jpg

a9ZceWM.jpg

Anybody have any tips on doing mens hair? Really struggling, had an attempt at it but it looks absolutely awful.
  • Hoshi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hoshi polycounter lvl 6
    Nice job on the head sculpt, you really improved yourself ! On your Marmoset render, you have a problem with the eyes. They look far too big. Maybe it's because they are too bright ? I would fix that before doing the hair. Keep it up !
  • JordanLeigh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hopefully this is better for the eyes

6SuakvC.jpg
  • Croftyness
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Croftyness polycounter lvl 11
    Your before an after is crazy! Some quality feedback that you've clearly applied yourself too. Looking good, Hats off.
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    I have a bit of a strange piece of advice for you, and some might disagree with it, so take it with a grain of salt.

I would recommend you to create another version of the highpoly ... without a mouth cavity, and without separated eye spheres. Sculpting the face without these technical constraints will allow you for a great deal of flexibility and will let you implement the above feedback and paintovers much more easily. This will also be much closer to the process of a sculptor working with real clay.

Now of course one would argue that this is not "production friendly", but I think that at this stage it is irrelevant. I can see that you are somehow sculpting around the technical constraints at the moment and I think it is hurting the fidelity of your final result, causing pinching and tightness around these areas.

This will also allow you to easily paint or sculpt in the eye details earlier on, allowing you to avoid the problems you are running into right now at the end of the pipe, with the oversized eyeballs and cross-eyed gaze you are getting.

It might seem like a counter intuitive waste of time, but later on, re-projecting the data to a regular model with proper mouth cavity and rigging-friendly eyeball setup will be pretty easy anyways.

Good luck :)
  • JordanLeigh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cheers Croftyness :)

And thanks for the advice prior but unfortunately this is a universtity project and I am running out of time fast so I dont think I can :/
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox godlike master sticky
    could you show the profile again? it feels still like he is doing a duck face somehow.

and now that i read your last post, how much time do you have left? i guess many stuff can be considered minor feedback, with that in mind and seeing that there are basically no textures on him.

that said, eyes are rotated outwards a bit, thats a simple fix, and should remove the crossed eyed look he has right now
  • JordanLeigh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cheers bud, and yeah, cant really afford any major changes at the moment, just quick fixes :/ But any feedbacks welcome and greatly appreciated
  • JordanLeigh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Update

Started laying down some Albedos, Mainly for the jeans, shirt and boots. Not touched the skin yet, have no idea how to work the skin shader in marmoset 2 :/ have to play around with it. Ohh and I decided to put a cowboy hat on him!

It'll help hide his hair! :D
    Just going to place a few planes for his hair around the edges.

aUIdUaD.jpg
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    He's head is looking pretty large which makes him appear quite short.

There's also something peculiar going on with the length of the legs versus torso. It kinda looks like he's got his trousers pulled half way down like one of those American gangster guys. It looks like you need to grab his hip area and move it up and then reproportion the legs accordingly. If you're careful, you can probably do that by just manipulating the low poly.

How's your timeline looking? The girl is going to need a fair bit of work to bring her up to the level of the father
  • JordanLeigh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jackablade, Well my guys 7 1/2 heads tall so not sure if I should change his head size?

I get what you mean with the jeans, I'll have a go at fixing that.

And I have just over a week to finish all three characters :/ so yehh I've not got much time to mess around

Here's the daughter with flat colours and normal maps

mktvmPn.jpg

Also does anybody know if it's possible to merge marmoset scenes? Like all my materials from the daughters scene to the fathers?
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    the texture of his face still looks as if it's basically just one color, add some more variation, reds around the nouse and cheeks, eyebrows, beardstubble etc.

father.gif

thats just a simple softlight layer with some colors slapped on to give him some mor depth and overall texture, also you should scale down the iris size

about the jeans, i guess an edge constrainted soft selection and moving up the hip part should work at this stage, it's not the cleanest way but should work under the circumstances
  • JordanLeigh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cheers for the feedback Neox. It actually is just a flat colour at the moment haha :D

Going to polypaint him tomorrow, I'll post some pics when I get some done. Cheers for the paintover though, it still helps loads.

Here's a pic of the girl, been getting some feedback saying she looks to 'manly' any opinions? on the face in particular? The face is still a flat colour at the moment.

qKkCOzo.jpg
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    Fixing cranium and big heavy brows are going to make the biggest difference here. I'd suggest grabbing yourself a nice profile shot of a suitably aged girl and go from there.

profile-beautiful-girl-praying-looking-up-29629481.jpg
    This one should help with your body proportions too.
    depositphotos_3367363-Profile-image-of-a-casual-little-girl-standing-against-white.jpg
  • JordanLeigh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Jackablade those references will be a huge help :D I'll try and fix her proportions, it'll have to be in the low poly though as i dont have time to re-do stuff. Hopefully it'll be okay.

Also I'm going to be polypainting both characters faces. I re-imported my low polys but the option didnt come up to preserve the sub-division levels. Does anyone know any ways to polypaint on the high poly even though it's not unwrapped and somehow project that onto my low poly??

Thanks again people
  • taglol
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    taglol polycounter lvl 6
    Just polypaint it and bake the highpoly's vertex-colors in xNormal. Works like a charm! No need for unwrapping.
  • JordanLeigh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Managed to fix it by importing the low poly from max but changing the settings to 'zbrush' in the obj exporter. Having problems doing it for the daughter character though so might have to try what you said, thanks :)
  • JordanLeigh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Made some texture progress on the guys head, any crits?

Please ignore the god awful eyebrows and chest hair :D

jws2hXg.jpg
  • Valliant
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Valliant polycounter lvl 4
    hey there, the dad character is really coming along. :)

The face is looking a lot better now, there's definitely more depth to it than the screenshot you showed last time. As for suggestions, I might try bumping up the red in his cheeks and nose a little more as it still feels like there's not quite enough variation in the actual skin itself.

Also, I'm not sure if you've really done much to the clothes yet, but right now the pattern on the shirt goes straight down instead of conforming to the edges of the shirt and it looks unnatural.
  • JordanLeigh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Anotyher update on the guys head texture.

oqijhJb.jpg

Also not to sure what to do about the girl, really struggling with the hair planes, tempted to put a hat on her but I feel like that's cheating :/ Here's what they look like now, so embarrassed.

L0dSqW9.jpg
  • JordanLeigh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Updates on the textures

Any crits??

qshAzyk.jpg

JkHx80X.jpg
  • JordanLeigh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Completely ignored the robot. Still doing the high poly. Think the HP is done, any comments? He's basically a 'helper' no real functions apart form aiding the father and daughter hence no arms. Plan to do into NDo to add some surface details like vents on the TV and holes in the mic of the phone etc.

Any crits? and apologies for the bad render

TRSVGJH.jpg
  • JordanLeigh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Some textures to show off, kinda happy with them at the moment, any crits??

nejT7DT.jpg

DNpMTyI.jpg

Not to happy with the girls textures though :/ and her hair

lzChZgB.jpg

yNLZezW.jpg
  • JordanLeigh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Low Poly of the robot. Starting the unwrap now and texturing soon. PBR is going to be fun with this guy

Apologies for the awful render

PGU2nGx.jpg
  • JordanLeigh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Update on the robot, this is the low poly with the normal map

grxCdBi.jpg
  • JordanLeigh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here's some texture work on the robot. Submission is on friday so I dont have much time at all now. Any crits? Also the light is very WIP

8fjKWWi.jpg
  • JordanLeigh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thought I'd Just show my latest updates on all three.

Please critique. Got one day left to add some finishing touches or fix areas, Thankyou :)

gjcZnVs.jpg
  • Joost
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joost polycount sponsor
    I really like that robot, good job :) The guy is pretty good, but the face is still a bit off. Especially around the eyes and lips. The daughter is also pretty good but something feels off about the anatomy.
  • JordanLeigh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yehh I agree with those errors. Unfortunately now though unless i can fix it in the low poly then theres not much I can do because of the time frame I've got.

I might try making his eyes slightly smaller and we if that helps
  • JordanLeigh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here's the finished product. So much that needs fixing but the hand in is today :/

Thanks for everyone's help, you're the best! I've learnt so much through this and can't wait to apply it all to my next characters. I'll stay posted :)

Also sorry for all the pics

3Aq57pq.jpg

Lxhpuhu.jpg

YVNWE2c.jpg

jGn7UDB.jpg

B4JQP0F.jpg

ORp90f6.jpg

A3cUozT.jpg
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    try to stay with bent knees for a while :)
    you'll recognize its not really comfortable, usually you would have at lest one supporting leg in a stance
  • JordanLeigh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox wrote: »
    try to stay with bent knees for a while :)
    you'll recognize its not really comfortable, usually you would have at lest one supporting leg in a stance

Haha yeh, didn't even think about that!

Does anybody know why my wireframe isn't showing up properly on some of my girls meshes. Her dungarees show up fine but nothing else does. Its just little dots :/
  • JordanLeigh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Currently writing a report about this project for university. I have to include comments about the final product. Any of you guys have anything you'd like to pick out about it? My tutor told me to get critique from forums and industry people so if you guys have any comments please let me know.

Thanks again :)