Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Something else for me for a change. RX8 WIP progress thread.

Hello.
Decided to try something else than my usual stuff, so here is my new project. In the dawn of PBR I decided to learn this new process so I'm ready when it comes in full force. I needed a nice model to practice it on, and instead of downloading someone else's work or reusing my old work I decided to hit few birds with one stone:

a) Brush on my hard surface subdivision modelling and practice a bit more complex forms.

b) create a nice model to practice the use of PBS.

c) Create a perfect copy of my car that I can design visual modifications on.

The goals of this project is to create an exact 3D replica of my car, but that would be to easy to do, so to challenge myself a bit more is to recreate it with all the imperfections, scratches and wear and tear it has. Then when that's done I will create a set of after-market parts and some interesting new shaders/textures to concept my ideal version of the car. (Within reason). The goal is to make it as low poly as possible, so it can be rendered in a real time engine which due to the lack of widely available PBS It will be a marmoset 2 viewer for now (with some vray high poly renders maybe afterwards.

Here is first few hours of day one when I blocked out some of the major forms. My main attention was to get the edge flows nice and clean and make the model ready for detaching major body panels for high poly work. At this moment all the creases are defined by separate smoothing groups so its quite edgy but that's only temporary.

0izHPxH.jpg
Lvi6k93.jpg
GKdBERx.jpg

Does anyone know a nice average budget for a good game ready car model? Texture and tri-count?

And as usual any comments and critique very welcome.

Thank you.

Replies

• shiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Not much to update on, working in between other projects. Main form done, tweaked and cleaned, onto detailing, wheels, separating panels and high poly.
    1DgHwOH.jpg
    rCoVx0l.jpg
    Unkdwdp.jpg
    WNmGpXk.jpg

Not expecting many comments, but trying to keep the thread updated as I go so sorry for bumping :)
  • Mis-Fire
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mis-Fire polycounter lvl 3
    Hey shiro, I can't wait to see how you get on with this. I may be picking your brains about the PBR stuff if I can't get my rifle sorted :)
  • shiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey, haha. Yeah unfortunately this is my 3rd priority right now behind the work stuff and colab I'm doing with a friend, so got probably 1-2h a day I can spend on this if I don't want to sleep much :) PBR might actually come first from the environment assets and studies before this :(

...soon :D