Home General Discussion

Self Learning to become a 3D artist - Required skills list ?

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
lloydj14 polycounter lvl 6
Hi all,

I was hoping that polycount would be able to help me make a complete list of the the fundamentals and skills that I would need to become a 3D artist through self study (me personally would be looking at environment artist but tips for all types would be great). I know something like this would greatly help me and maybe others too.

I was hoping to make it quite a detailed/ specific list. So for example breaking down 'texturing' into this such: textures from photo red, hand painted/ stylized textures, Ambient Occlusion maps, spec maps, materials etc.

I will try and keep the thread upto date with any suggestions that people make so all can see the information easily.

Lloyd

Replies

• passerby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    passerby polycounter lvl 12
    What kinda artist do you want to be? That will very much decide the skill sets required.
  • lloydj14
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I would be looking to be an environment artist
  • Add3r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Add3r polycounter lvl 11
    In the game industry, even among artists, there is such a wide array of skillsets, positions, etc. So the list will be pretty vague and then it will be up to the individual to come up with that specific skillset they want to study or specialize in. When starting out, it took me a while to find my place as a 3D artist, other than the fact that I wanted to do props/env art, and just the industry in general. There are people who specialize in just hard surface art, some that specialize in low poly work... And thats all they do. Their workflows are minimal and super efficient for the work they do and they master it. You can take that route or become a generalist who masters a few key skills, but has the ability to touch every part of the process of level/prop/character creation. As you progress through your studies (I am largely self taught as well, as I recommend it to anyone who has the drive/dedication to push themselves), you will find your favorite tasks like High Poly hard surface work, sculpting, hand painted/stylized, etc.

The main skills I rely on, on a daily basis include:
    - Sketching, being able to draw out a quick sketch of the silhouette/shapes I want to work with, or to convey to another artist.

- Being able to use the internet as an advantage, not a distraction. I am dead serious about this. Finding awesome reference images, free tools to increase productivity, as well as reading websites like Polycount.

- Solid ability to follow my own, or another's concept, and not only build out a nice block out mesh... But to expand on it and make it even better. A lot of 2D concepts do not translate to 3D all the best, so being a 3D modeler you have to be aware that you are an artist too and will need to do a little bit of creative work here and there.

- Being able to just model fast and efficiently in the given program the studio works with. Be aware that mastering one program is key, but knowing many will help get you jobs. Every studio has a different toolset with in house tools and licenses.

- Basic pipeline tasks, such as: UV unwrapping, proper topology and retopology methods, high poly modeling/sculpting, High poly to low poly baking, low poly creation, efficient texture map creation for both HDR and PBR work flows.

- Know how to use a versioning software. A lot of people do not stress this enough, every single studio that is smart about their data will be using some sort of versioning software like SVN or Perforce.

- Ability to absorb knowledge like a sponge (you will ALWAYS be learning new tools, workflows, tech, etc in this industry... ALWAYS), able to take criticism and how to give it, and how not to be a dick. Just being a friendly guy with potential to be an asset for the company is enough to be hired on the spot for a lot of people. If you show talent in your field and fit in with the team, that is the key to success.

- NETWORK. Good god, I can't stress this enough. NETWORK. All of my positions in the industry so far have not been advertised, they were mainly friends at a studio that needed someone. This is not always the norm though, as I have only been in the industry a handful of years and like said this is my first true AAA position. I would say a good 75% of the positions available in this industry are not advertised.

- Self marketing. Once again, dont be a dick to people as anyone you run into in the industry could be a future coworker. This should be just known. The industry is actually very small in the grand scheme of things, every artist knows of the other major artists that have web presences. Same with every field, everyone knows everyone, especially if you make a fool of yourself. I worked a freelance gig where I was hiring help for the project and turned someone down simply based on his past experience with friends in the industry, and his attitude during the initial processes.

I, myself, am an environment artist recently turned tech artist. I found a local studio that I had connections/friends in, and applied and luckily I spent my free time learning how to script/code as well as practicing art and I was able to turn it into something great. This is my first AAA position, but it was worth every bit of hard work and every sleepless night. As a tech artist I get to touch everything about just about every workflow in the studio. I make/fix assets, optimize LODs (Level of detail), create/script lighting and all post effects that have not already been implemented, script world events/tools, and bug fix in-house and release builds coming from the studio. Tech artists are the in-between when it comes to the game industry, the middle men. We do everything the programmers and artists dont have time/skillset to do.

Just get out on Polycount and start reading everything. All throughout high school I used the internet as a resource. I would sit for hours and read and recreate Poylcount P&P posts. Doing hard surface studies, painting with what little skill I have there, just anything to get better. The week after high school graduation, I was working at a local mobile start up as their only artist and shipped a few small games. Shows a little bit of hard work can go a long way, even working a part time job and going to high school full time, I was able to find time for this passion. Like I said, just get out there and do it. You are the only one holding yourself back in this field. The internet has so much shared knowledge its insane.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That's one of the reasons we have a Wiki?

Top of the page, News, Forum, WIKI, about ect...
  • lloydj14
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Add3r - Thank you for your reply i really appreciate the time you took to write that and give me your views. I think it will help me to direct my self study :)

@mark dygert - The wiki is great but contains alot of information with some i would imagine that am unlikely to use :) but thank you for reminding me of it :)
  • CrackRockSteady
    The wiki contains literally all of the information that you are looking for and it is even broken down into very specific categories as you said you were hoping for. There is even an entire section of the wiki dedicated to information on the industry and the various positions therein.

Basically what Mark is trying to say is that this thread seems redundant. Polycount already made a complete list of the the fundamentals and skills that you'll need to become an industry artist. It is in the wiki.

wiki.polycount.com/CategoryEnvironment

http://wiki.polycount.com/CategoryProps

http://wiki.polycount.com/CategoryTexturing

Certainly there is information in the wiki that you may not want or need, but that applies to everyone. What you want or need applies to you specifically, and you'll need to filter information accordingly. Almost every section of the wiki explains in explicit detail what the purpose of a particular technique or process is used for. If you're interested in becoming an environment artist, check out the sections listed above. 90% of the information will be relevant to you.
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Glad to see the wiki is helpful.

I just added this list. Might help you focus.
    http://wiki.polycount.net/PortfolioContents