Home Technical Talk

Create a plank between two other planks

Jux
Jux
polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
Jux polycounter lvl 7
Alright, I got a roundish window, which is tilted. And I wanna create a plank of some sort between the border planks that goes around the window frame. Now you think you could simply create a box and place it there, but since it's tilted it's a pain to align it right. Is there any simple way(in 3DS Max) to kinda connect some edges to other edges? Or something...? I just want some polygons between the edges.

This is just a descriptive example of the window:

bLAGvmj.png

Replies

• Kurt Russell Fan Club
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kurt Russell Fan Club polycounter lvl 9
    If you select two open edges and click the Bridge button? You can also use the align tool if you need the plank to be a different mesh.

3DS Max documentation is really good for learning the basics of modelling.
  • Jux
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jux polycounter lvl 7
    If you select two open edges and click the Bridge button? You can also use the align tool if you need the plank to be a different mesh.

3DS Max documentation is really good for learning the basics of modelling.

I tried that, nothing happened. I've tried alot, that's why I give you guys a try to figure it out. ;)
    Might give align a try.

Thanks
  • Kurt Russell Fan Club
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kurt Russell Fan Club polycounter lvl 9
    The edges have to be open. If you have an edge that has a polygon on one side and nothing on the other side then you can bridge.

When you come up against problems like a tool not working, Googling e.g. "3DS Max Bridge" will give you pages and video tutorials teaching you how it works properly. It's a great skill to have and will let you solve your problems super fast for getting the basic modelling skills (that and the documentation)
  • Jux
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jux polycounter lvl 7
    The edges have to be open. If you have an edge that has a polygon on one side and nothing on the other side then you can bridge.

When you come up against problems like a tool not working, Googling e.g. "3DS Max Bridge" will give you pages and video tutorials teaching you how it works properly. It's a great skill to have and will let you solve your problems super fast for getting the basic modelling skills (that and the documentation)

Thanks, I was missing the detail about the edge can only have polygon on one side. Now it worked when I deleted some polygons.
    perna wrote: »
    Why not just vertex snap?

That's an awesome solution as well. Thanks to both of you!