Home Dota 2

Masking Mayhem

I decided to make a separate thread out of this so I don't clog up the workshop thread and so that the solutions to my issues will be easily searchable in the future -- it's hard to find answers in a 500 page thread, I tried!

Anyway, here's the issue:

Regardless of how it looks in the preview turn table, the item always appears to be matte in the game. The emissive (glow), detail map, and normal map (when I get really close to a strong light source) appear to work properly, but specularity shows no change. There's also a strange green tinge to the sword that seems to be cast from the green ring that highlights the ground the hero stands on.

WYGkfmV.png

In the turn table, I can have varying specular maps, but it always comes out like above. And I don't understand why it's a white highlight when I've indicated that it should be tinted by color.

UlZXAKA.png

The color texture is very WIP (largely because I can't get these masks to work properly, so I don't know what/how I need to paint), but general critique on that is welcome -- especially if you aren't sure what's going on with the rest of the model.

I'm not looking for explicit answers here, just guesses as to where I could be messing up since I'm at a loss now.

Replies

• polarbear
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I have little experience with masks myself, so I can't really help you there, but that uv map of yours looks like it could use some reworking.
    Am I correct that the lower area is completely unused? That's a huge waste! You should use up the whole space (for the resolution if you wonder why).
  • La Haie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You're right, it's a waste of space currently, but that's because I'd been thinking of adding another component to the model. Now I think I'll stick to what I have, so thanks for reminding me that I need to scale and reposition my islands to fill that big gap.

EDIT: I also mean to add a small smoothing group or two to the hilt area.
  • La Haie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well. It's working now. I have NO idea why, but the item is now displaying the specular channels and the green accent went away. I'd been fiddling with the way the masks look in the turn table preview and decided to test it in the game again.

Later on, I had it bug out again, re-imported the same exact files, and it works once more, so I'm suspecting an issue with my client rather than the masks.

EDIT: In fact, it now seems that I have to resubmit my item twice (changing the name, of course) in order to make it render properly. So strange...