Home Contests & Challenges Archives Team Fortress 2

Tutorials for TF2 Item Making?

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
two_larsens polycounter lvl 6
Hello,

I am a 3D Environment artist who would like to create some TF2 items - a big fan. Anyway, I am not new to the Steam Workshops, but have some questions I couldn't quite find answers for after a lot of snooping, and I was hoping to get some help here.

1: Are there any good and current tutorials covering the whole import and uploading process to the workshop? I couldn't find any, and I have to admit it looks a little confusing. That is, there are some, but they are either old, or pretty flaky.

2: I only saw color and normal maps mentioned, but I am assuming there also are spec, rim light and the like (like Dota 2's masks) to use?

Thanks for any help!

Replies

• Estavos
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Estavos polycounter lvl 11
    1.New Valve's import tool(in-game tool) allow to use *.dmx, *.smd and *.fbx formats. Download SourceSDK for sources. You make model in any tool(Blender, Maya, 3DS Max or other) attach to bones and export to *.fbx. TF2 import tool make all-compile model, compile textures and pack it!
    2.Of course. You can use rim light, spec and other. Also you can edit VMT in Notepad++ and ajust what you want.
  • circle of friends
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    circle of friends polycounter lvl 10
    I've been thinking of making some video tutorials. What would you like to see?
  • two_larsens
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    two_larsens polycounter lvl 6
    Hi, I would like to see the entire import process, and material adjustments particular to TF2's item making. Not many, or any, around. Usually they just deal with a color map (diffuse), and not spec and the like.

Thanks.

H