Home General Discussion

Likeness,How?

What knowledge do i need to posses so i can be able to copy the likeness from 2D to 3D? I really admire people, who can draw or sculpt in Zbrush likeness.
U know i have to have depth understanding in anatomy. But how to achieve 100% likeness? Any advice.

Replies

• leslievdb
    Offline / Send Message
    leslievdb polycounter lvl 15
    good measuring and a lot of practice i guess. its just really hard to do and takes years of experience and a trained eye to approach likeness.
    I havnt done a good likeness sculpt yet so don`t take my word for it but if you look at the guys who do pull of good likeness sculpts then they`re usually very experienced artists
  • CrazyMatt
    The only thing I can say is. "Put what you see, where it's at" Your eyes, & brain will do all the work.

The common unnoticed problem these days is that, building any character asset or asset in general. Takes a lot of time, and a lot of steps. You can be quick or slow, though the thing as I mentioned before is an unnoticed problem. Most people get to a stopping point because the process has gone on too long for steps taken.

Game artists carry 1 thing for their principles. "Be fast and efficient."
    Because of this, you could do a portrait of your favorite icon and find as you get to that internal mental clock. You will close down the work because in your mind, you figure as much as a job would require. That's too much time spent. Time to move onto the next bit. Otherwise, the least of reasons, but does still happen often. "You have spent too much time looking at the subject and need a break." Because you have convinced yourself your work is good enough.

Also, get comfy with breaking the symmetry mold of work. Asymmetry is the way to go.
  • Mongrelman
    Offline / Send Message
    Mongrelman polycounter lvl 18
    Try to nail down the key features that make the face recognisable. Looking at charicatures is useful as even though the drawing/sculpt isn't realistic it still captures the elements that define that particular person's face.
  • Stinger88
    Offline / Send Message
    Stinger88 polycounter
    Golden rule of sculpting (and most other art really): Get the big shapes correct first then refine, refine, refine.

Really good likeness's. Whether its caricature, photo real or stylised only comes with A LOT of practice and plenty of good reference from many angles.