Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Male fantasy character - The Apprentice of Havenborough

Hello! I have been here a while, but dont think I have ever made a thread. But here I go :)

I'm in the middle of a 16 week long school project where we are about 10 people creating a game. I'm sitting as technical artist in the group. But now when I am done with my part of the project, I can spend rest of the time to create a character. :}

Seeing as this is going to be my first game-ready character I've ever done, I wanted to share my progress and hope to get some feedback from you. :- )

Our game is set in a medieval-fantasy world and it's going to be a First/3rd-person racing game with climbing elements in Mirror's Edge. It's a multiplayer game where the players race to get over the city roofs and reach the end.

This is my progress so far, I've just started on the base model in zbrush and tomorrow I'll hopefully finish the base, (yes I know, I need to rework the mouth); and go on to creating the armor.

A3iE9k6.jpg

uBzpeg6.jpg

I am a little worried with the armor, as I dont really know how to make the crisp line some people seem to get on the cloth ends :/

Replies

• Timotii48
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Reworked the mouth a bit and started blocking out the armor. Had to change it seeing our game designer dident want him to have a hat :( (Dident fit the charcters traits to have a hat)
    Hair is hard to create, so hard :O

I8Ot7c5.jpg

4IMrBsS.jpg

Tomorrow I'll start doing details and add in the smaller bits for the armor. Hoping to get the hight poly done by the end of this week.

The old model with hat:
    syKuHYD.jpg
  • Nistrum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nistrum polycounter lvl 9
    hey man. nice start. i have to say i get the feeling he was put together with parts from different sized people.. his head, upper torso, abdomen and legs all seem to be a different scale.

do you have a shot of him next to an absolute ref image. like a vituvian man or anatomical drawing. don't use photographs of people. unless they are specifically anatomical ref images. lens angles etc can distort things a bit.
  • Timotii48
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey Nistrum, thanks for the feedback, I used this image for scale when I did the low poly in maya

ZzWtRa0.jpg

I need to look at the head scale tomorrow :)
    I think I'll load in some reference to zbrush and make sure that the proportions are correct from all angles before I go in to the detailing.
  • Nistrum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hmm. i think a few of those markers are off... most imoprtantly the head and the knees and hips. also look at where his rib cage ends at both the lowest point at his midriff and the base of the sternum by the base of his pecks (use the unclothed version_ i compaired it quickly with your shot from above
  • Timotii48
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the continued feedback Nistrum :) I loaded in a reference in to zbrush and started moving the base model around.

The project leader wasn't too happy to hear that I would spend the morning redoing some work he thought was done. But I think it was well worth it :D

OINykqb.jpg

Now I need to match the armor to the new base model.
  • Nistrum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ha! that looks much better. nice work man. glad i could help :D
  • Timotii48
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Got the armor to fit the new base model, and started to add smaller details :)
    Didn't get as far as I would like, seeing tomorrow is the last day I have left on the high poly model.

But hopefully I'll get to a state tomorrow where I can move on to the low-poly.

SdSdL3O.jpg

fOdQipc.jpg
  • Nistrum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    much better man. if I could pick on one thing it would be that fringe. its just not sitting well with me. but that said the rest of it is looking great good work.
  • Timotii48
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hahah ye, it was my first time doing hair in zbrush. Wasn't really sure how to do it, so it just kinda ended up like that, when I was messing with it :)
    Hair is really hard to do. Was watching some other hair done in zbrush, and holy crap, some people are just insane :D
  • Timotii48
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So the last planned day of the high poly sculpt ends. Fixed the hair, more specifically the hairline. Added more details, but kinda ran out of ideas towards the end of the day. Want to sit more, but only got 8h a day.

Heres the final high poly
    fEo7cba.jpg

hSCyqu3.jpg

I would love to hear some feedback. I might be able to sneak in during the weekend and work more before I have to start the low poly on monday :P
  • taglol
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    taglol polycounter lvl 6
    Hey man! I would advice you to keep the different parts of your characters as separate subtools. It looks as if everything (or most) is part of the same mesh. You will get a mesh that's way easier to work on that way! It will also look way better as you will have more control over your sub-divisions and overlapping clothing/armor is much easier to create this way.
    Also, don't be afraid to use Maya/Max to create basemeshes for things such as the boot straps, belts, buckles, armor etc etc.

I hope that made sense! I understand that you're on a tight schedule and may not have time to apply these changes, but do keep it in mind until your next character! Keep on trucking, it's looking way better from your first post.
  • Timotii48
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey taglol! Ye I need to create a bettre workflow in zbrush, as I dont really know when to rely on maya to help with the details. But I guess thats just something you learn with practise.

Well, this week started of a bit rough as I was sick monday. But manged to get the lowpoly out (Had loads of problems seeing the mesh ended on 11mil points and the computers we have dident have the RAM to handle the re-topology in maya, so I had to learn topogun).
    I did a quick bake and some base colors on it today.

Ad2O9P3.jpg

QZLwyeb.jpg

I still have until friday to fiddle with the texture and stuff :)

Thanks for the feedback for getting me this far :)
  • Timotii48
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hello again :) Been a while, still hard at work making "Zane Firewind" game ready. Keeping to the schedule I've stated rigging and skinning him. Did a quick running animation at the end of the skinning phase to see if I missed anything while skinning.

Going to go over and put him in some extreme poses tomorrow and onces the skinning is done, I'm going to go down the list of all the animations that Zane needs to work in our game :)

A bit afraid of the climbing animations needed (there are 4 of them). But got the support of another TA that just finished the same animation I need but on our female character.

I would love to hear input on all the animations I'm going to make this sprint, so I can push this character to the max :)

quick ruinning animation for debugging the skinning and the rig:
    FKQYT6S.gif

N2zRMzN.gif
  • billymcguffin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    billymcguffin polycounter lvl 11
    Hey Timotii,

I'm not an animator, but there are a couple things I notice right off the bat. The first thing is that at the end of the stride the feet lift off the ground too much, like he's trying to kick dirt backwards. The other thing is that his hips "ease" into the contact too much. I think it'd be better if the hips stopped moving downward more abruptly on contact.

I think the tail could use more secondary motion as well.