Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Night Castle Environment and Gunship | Demo Reel 2014

polycounter lvl 3
Offline / Send Message
Demokk polycounter lvl 3
Hi polycount!

After several months of hard work and fun, I am practically done with my demo reel. I learned a lot during this time.

My demo reel consists of two pieces, the night castle environment (inspired by Banderlog's concept art) and the gunship vehicle (inspired by Oscar Cafaro's concept). I decided to go with something completely different for the second piece to showcase a different set of skills and to challenge myself.

The focus of the main piece was working as efficient as possible (technical and speed-wise), while creating an environment that you can imagine it being part of a bigger world.

The second piece's focus was to create something completely different from the first one (hard-surface, sci-fi, "hero" prop), and that I could achieve in a smaller time frame than the first piece.

Both are rendered in CryEngine.

I would appreciate it if you could give me some feedback regarding the demo reel and my website.

My website: http://www.ivanlopezr.com

Demo reel:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vmOc0qCBUOA"]Jose Ivan Lopez Romo | Environment Artist - Demo Reel 2014 - YouTube[/ame]

Thank you!

Some screenshots:

01_ivanlopezr.jpg
03_ivanlopezr.jpg
05_ivanlopezr.jpg
01b_ivanlopezr.jpg
07b_ivanlopezr.jpg
10b_ivanlopezr.jpg

Replies

• DWalker
    Once again, unless you're an animator or an f/x artist, your primary focus should be on creating quality, representative still images. Also, the default page on your website should be to your portfolio.

The camera really should be in focus; depth-of-field is fine, but having the entire scene go out of focus periodically is not good.

In your medieval village, change the lights to a yellow or orange hue to indicate candles or fire. Also the light will tend to 'leak' under doors and around shutters.

The stained glass in the cathedral really should be quite colorful.

Is there a reason the gunship has two sets of textures rather than a single (possibly larger) texture?

On your resume, lose the blank line between each line of your contact information. Amongst other things, this will allow you to fit everything on a single page. Also, indent your bullet points.
  • Demokk
    Offline / Send Message
    Demokk polycounter lvl 3
    DWalker wrote: »
    Once again, unless you're an animator or an f/x artist, your primary focus should be on creating quality, representative still images. Also, the default page on your website should be to your portfolio.

The camera really should be in focus; depth-of-field is fine, but having the entire scene go out of focus periodically is not good.

In your medieval village, change the lights to a yellow or orange hue to indicate candles or fire. Also the light will tend to 'leak' under doors and around shutters.

The stained glass in the cathedral really should be quite colorful.

Is there a reason the gunship has two sets of textures rather than a single (possibly larger) texture?

On your resume, lose the blank line between each line of your contact information. Amongst other things, this will allow you to fit everything on a single page. Also, indent your bullet points.

Do you think it would be a better idea to have the gallery as the front page instead of the demo reel?

The gunship has two textures because the second one has an alpha channel for transparency and self-illumination, and it didn't make much sense to waste the entire alpha channel of one big texture on very small uv islands. That way I could use the alpha channel of the big one for blending textures or something else that would benefit the entire texture.

Thanks a lot for your feedback!
  • NomadSoul2501
    Offline / Send Message
    NomadSoul2501 polycounter lvl 10
    Really nice work!
    At 2 minutes the reel is rather on the long side but you have a lot of detail to show so it should be fine. I love that you didn't just stick the gunship to a turn-table but gave it a simple environment.

The site is easy to navigate, clean and the gallery thumbnails are big enough.
    As mentioned earlier I would definitely make the gallery page your home page.
    I had my site setup similar to yours and that was the nr1 requested feature everytime someone looked at my site.

Cheers
  • Demokk
    Offline / Send Message
    Demokk polycounter lvl 3
    Really nice work!
    At 2 minutes the reel is rather on the long side but you have a lot of detail to show so it should be fine. I love that you didn't just stick the gunship to a turn-table but gave it a simple environment.

The site is easy to navigate, clean and the gallery thumbnails are big enough.
    As mentioned earlier I would definitely make the gallery page your home page.
    I had my site setup similar to yours and that was the nr1 requested feature everytime someone looked at my site.

Cheers

Thanks for your feedback!
  • Demokk
    Offline / Send Message
    Demokk polycounter lvl 3
    Hello again!

I improved the lighting on all the shots of the demo reel. I also created some breakdown images for the castle environment. I have not made any considerable changes to the website, as it would need a redesign if I want to have my gallery as the front page.

Thanks again for your feedback!

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ZGrDWdqNCk"]Jose Ivan Lopez Romo | Environment Artist - Demo Reel 2014 - YouTube[/ame]

06_ivanlopezr.jpg?format=1920w
    08_ivanlopezr.jpg?format=1920w
    05b_ivanlopezr.jpg?format=1920w
    IvanLopezR_Castle_Breakdown.jpg?format=1920w
    IvanLopezR_MidBuilding_Breakdown.jpg?format=1920w
    IvanLopezR_Props_Breakdown_01.jpg?format=1920w
    IvanLopezR_Collision_Breakdown.jpg?format=1920w
    IvanLopezR_TextureBreakdown_03.jpg?format=1920w