Home General Discussion

Your Work and the Community

Spur
polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
Spur polycounter lvl 6
Just curious but for those of you that are employed with a developer, how active are you with your product's community? I don't get too involved in mine. At least not on the product side though I do read forums and comments from time to time. I'll be honest, sometimes I get thoroughly disgusted. There have been several occasions where I want to say "Really? Do you have any idea how much time, effort and sacrifice is invested into the product?" I try not to take things personal. After all, I get my money and that is all that matters but still, there always seems to be a ton of arm chair managers and developers out there.

Replies

• skylebones
    Offline / Send Message
    skylebones polycounter lvl 10
    Not at all. You're just setting yourself up for tears. It's the internet.
  • Justin Meisse
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 19
    Nope, because the fans will turn any comment you make into an OFFICIAL PRESS RELEASE.

I'm working on games more geared towards kids and their families and the community is a thousand times friendlier than your average game geared towards the 20 something male demographic, so that's a plus.
  • LRoy
    Offline / Send Message
    LRoy polycounter lvl 14
    The only thing more hate filled than gamer forums is the youtube comment section.
  • Spur
    Offline / Send Message
    Spur polycounter lvl 6
    Yeah I'm to the point where I just want to do my assigned tasks and eliminate all interaction with the community. It's never been mandatory and it was with the best of intentions as the whole team has been very active and still are and genuinely does care about community feedback.

But when I see a teen, preteen, or someone that has never lived a day on their own, with no life obligations, tell our dev team that they aren't investing enough time in the product, it struck a real nerve. I do know that the younger demographic can be the absolute worst and I just bite my tongue and not say anything, it's not my place to. Anyway, I'm done with that. Like I said, I get a paycheck and that is the most important thing.

Anyway, what I really need to do is become more involved in this community and continue to grow as an artist.
  • iniside
    Offline / Send Message
    iniside polycounter lvl 6
    Spur wrote: »
    Just curious but for those of you that are employed with a developer, how active are you with your product's community? I don't get too involved in mine. At least not on the product side though I do read forums and comments from time to time. I'll be honest, sometimes I get thoroughly disgusted. There have been several occasions where I want to say "Really? Do you have any idea how much time, effort and sacrifice is invested into the product?" I try not to take things personal. After all, I get my money and that is all that matters but still, there always seems to be a ton of arm chair managers and developers out there.
    You have wrong attitude.

You should just read forums, and don't give shit about what do you read. Treat it as some good laughs or "haha I'm better than all those trolls," to increase your ego ;p.
  • Spur
    Offline / Send Message
    Spur polycounter lvl 6
    iniside wrote: »
    Treat it as some good laughs or "haha I'm better than all those trolls," to increase your ego ;p.

LOL, good suggestion.
  • marks
    Offline / Send Message
    marks greentooth
    I try not to take things personal. After all, I get my money and that is all that matters

Erm ... well, that's not all that matters to me regarding my job. I can't speak for anyone else...
  • Two Listen
    Offline / Send Message
    Two Listen polycount sponsor
    My experience was usually that the older the demographic, the worse things were. Games meant for kids (or families, but aimed at kids) generally had an OK consumer base, pretty decent and appreciative. Games meant for teens/young adults (like most games these days) were somewhat torn, you had your trolls and assholes who think they know everything there is to know about games, but you also have people who've been gaming long enough to have a decent gauge and understand how things work. Games geared towards the older generations (adults, or god forbid the more elderly) generally have the worst consumer base because they know absolutely nothing about technology, but also tend to be the most entitled.

It is sort of backwards when you think about it. I don't imagine most developers are very involved in their games' community - that's usually PR/Customer Support/sometimes marketing's job. And since you're most likely to end up raging when you get involved, people are content to keep it that way. Funnily enough, there usually isn't anything anyone in PR or customer support can do about people's thoughts, concerns, gripes, or what have you (outside of "we'll pass it along") - only the developers/designers (or arguably, the managers) can do that, and they're probably better suited to sifting through decent feedback vs. silly teen nerdrage than the people whose job it is to do it.

A related question perhaps, is "How many of you are working on games you would actually buy/play in your spare time (if you weren't developing it)?"

Because really, I don't think there's a whole lot of point in trying to dive into your community's feedback if the game you're making isn't even your cup of tea to begin with.
  • Autocon
    Offline / Send Message
    Autocon polycounter lvl 15
    I interact with some fans via twitter about our games, nothing spolierish of course.

We also have community days every Fri/Sat where fans setup games in U3 or TLOU and they always love it when some of the Naughty Dogs can come in and play with them which is always great as your playing with some of the most passionate fans.

As for forms and things like that. I avoid those like the plague.
  • Torch
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch polycounter
    marks wrote: »
    Erm ... well, that's not all that matters to me regarding my job. I can't speak for anyone else...

Agreed, job satisfaction and hoes are top of the list :thumbup:
  • NegevPro
    Offline / Send Message
    NegevPro polycounter lvl 4
    Youtube comments are the worst. I used to try and stick up for developers even if I don't personally like the game simply because no developer wakes up in the morning and thinks "Hey, I'm going to make a shitty game today!" But there are far too many trolls out there. You post one comment about how people are overreacting and suddenly you have 100+ replies from angry people that think "HEY, I SPENT A WHOLE $60 ON THIS GAME, IT SHOULD BE EVERYTHING I DEMAND IT TO BE!"
  • Justin Meisse
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 19
    NegevPro wrote: »
    Youtube comments are the worst.

I use HerpDerp Tube for Chrome, it converts all Youtube comments to "herp derp derp herp derp derp derp herp derp"
  • cptSwing
    Offline / Send Message
    cptSwing polycounter lvl 11
    ^ hah, that's genius.
  • Spur
    Offline / Send Message
    Spur polycounter lvl 6
    Lol money, and hoes. yeah that's the ticket. I'm sure the wife would love that last part lol.

No seriously. I enjoy what I do. I enjoy who I work for. It's not a question of that at all. It's the ideal situation for me at this moment and I actually do play our product from time to time. I dont get to play nearly as much as I would like due to work/family, but I do (that goes for any game). Now, what makes me feel fulfilled as an artist is a whole other can of worms but when it comes to trolls ranting about your product or throwing a fit, as long as the boss is happy, I make my money, and I enjoy what I do, personally I'm happy.

[FONT=&quot]Most of the rants/issues I've noticed are the teens and preteens or at least very young. For the most part everyone is great except for those few trolls/factions that are never happy. And when a person or group does not get their way or their suggestions or their idea of a business model, or just how they feel things should be done in general, is not taken into account. Holy hell , feel their wrath. Its nothing short of my 2 yr old throwing a fit.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]“You can please some of the people some of the time all of the people some of the time some of the people all of the time but you can never please all of the people all of the time.” --Lincoln[/FONT]

Man that is true and I've really seen that over the past year or so.

Like I said, I was just curious how many of you guys looked at that kind of unfiltered feedback and it seems for the most part, you don't.
  • Cibo
    Offline / Send Message
    Cibo polycounter lvl 10
    But you are all in this forum and im a fan.
    With my evil intend to form the developer in my favorite art style. :\
  • Spur
    Offline / Send Message
    Spur polycounter lvl 6
    One of my absolute favorite things to read here lately is:

"I'm not a programmer or artist but it shouldn't be to hard to ..."
  • NegevPro
    Offline / Send Message
    NegevPro polycounter lvl 4
    One of my absolute favorite things to read here lately is:

"I'm not a programmer or artist but it shouldn't be to hard to ..."
    Just reminded me of the time this one crazy guy came to the forum for the project I'm currently working on and trash talked the entire team telling us to drop the project because the main character model we showed off didn't have dynamic hair.

At least now we have dynamic hair, so that's something I guess.
  • Bek
    Offline / Send Message
    Bek interpolator
    I use HerpDerp Tube for Chrome, it converts all Youtube comments to "herp derp derp herp derp derp derp herp derp"
    http://www.youtube.com/feather_beta

Not for everyone; but it gets rid of comments.
  • timwiese
    Offline / Send Message
    timwiese polycounter lvl 9
    I enjoy reading forums for the games I work on, although I rarely respond or contribute (pretty much how I am on all forums). It's never really bothered me when people bad mouth the games I've worked on, everyone has their opinions and some people just like to rile others up. I also usually feel a bit distanced from the criticism as they are trash talking a game I helped with/worked on, not me in particular.
  • MeshModeler
    Offline / Send Message
    MeshModeler polycounter lvl 11
    i just lurk neogaf seeing what people are saying about mgs, thats as far as i go
  • ErichWK
    Offline / Send Message
    ErichWK polycounter lvl 12
    I post on our company's forums occasionally. But both Supersonic Acrobatic Rocket Powered Battle Cars and Nosgoth both have about only a dozen people who give a shit about our game, so it's like a very close funny family.