Home Unreal Engine

Cleanup Materials and Packages

Here is one reason, why I like UDK not as much as Unity: packages!

So, my problem is, I might have added some meshes to a package that were already in there. But they are from another version with different materials, so UDK doesn't overwrite the originals. Since there are quite a lot of single meshes, I don't want to select everything in the package separately and check it.

Is there a way in UDK to:

- check for double meshes and materials
- delete all materials from a package that have no material assigned to them
- delete the "history" of referenced objects, so I can delete older materials
(I know there is a console command, but it slipped my mind; I'd like to know if there is any way in UDK to can check referenced objects?)

- generally - what is the best way to keep a package clean, tight and up to date?

And another problem from my ArchViz thread - is it possible to make a Kismet Door Opening Sequence with Keyframe Animation in Matinee, while using a prefab? I tried animating the prefab, I tried turing it into a mover and an interpolate actor, but none of it worked. I could open the doors as movers, but the glas would stay behind when the door closes again. (it works on the way, but stays behind) Kinda gave up on trying to move the prefab with Matinee.

I lied, I love UDK, but in moments when nothing works, there is always a better engine ^^

Replies

• r4ptur3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    r4ptur3 polycounter lvl 10
    The easiest way is to move the assets from your old package to a new package. Sure, this might take a little time ... but it is the best way. Just select your assets --> right click --> move or rename. Type the new package name into the first field and you should be good to go. If the package does not exists UDK will make a new one for you. I usually have two packages when I am working on personal work. One is my trash package which includes experiments and tests. The other is my "final package", which only includes the cleaned up assets.

You will need to include your matinee in the prefab. Select all your kismet nodes, then right click (in kismet) --> "make new sequence". select all geometry and nodes (in editor), then the sequence in kismet. right click (in editor) and select make new prefab. you should get a window asking if you want to make the sequence part of the prefab. select yes. save you package up and it should work :D