Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

( moved ) Young Artist first model ( Critique me ! )

Just thought i would post what i have just finished. (I think this is the wrong section :P). It is my first 3D model and look me a bit over 9 hours non-stop to finish.

I am a 15 year old beginner artist but hope to soon be able to make some of the amazing environments seen on polycount.

The original model is based of the car from toy story... awesome trilogy. Im not sure of the amount of polys / tris but i will find out and update later. IM not really clear on the concept of UV mapping but i did manage to get some textures on the model.

Making this model i learned a few things for starters.

How to manilpulate 3D objects.
Nurbs and Subdivision modeling.
Modeling with splines.
Using patterns in modeling.

Please critique my model... rip me apart!

JLJPB0F.png
3m1B5uX.png
TDyQCZg.png
c5ved6K.png

Replies

• Gazu
    Offline / Send Message
    Gazu polycounter lvl 12
    You did the Digital Tutors Course, right?
    Looks good so far ;)
  • CarlK3D
    Offline / Send Message
    CarlK3D polycounter lvl 7
    for your 1st model it looks good.

A few things to keep in mind:
    - Keep plenty of references handy. the more the better & not just that of the Toy Story Car your basing the model off. you might get some ideas from other RC Cars to.
    - The Toy Story one seems more exaggerated, Big Wheels, Big Spike Treads, Bull Bar & Spoiler

14_ToyStoryRC.jpg

However I think you shouldn't spend all your time trying to get it 100% accurate right now. It looks like the model has quite a few n-gons (5 or more sided face) which you should probably fix up. As well as learning how to UV Map (very Important & your next step in the model)

Hope this helps, Good Luck!
  • DWalker
    I'd strongly recommend starting with a simpler object to get the basics down before moving on to something as complex as this. Modelling is only the first, and often the easiest stage. Applying UVs well and then creating proper materials are at least as important.

Crates and barrels might not be the most exciting projects, but they do allow you to go through the entire process rapidly.
  • CarlK3D
    Offline / Send Message
    CarlK3D polycounter lvl 7
    Absolutely agree with DWalker, I spent most of my 1st Year doing 1 Hour Speed Barrels.
    As well as UV mapping Boxes and simple objects. well worth it in the end

Also this is the right section
  • Aquas
    i see it is a bit to realistic is style.. i will try to change a few things