Home General Discussion

Drawing/Anatomy advice

Even i have so many books and videos, i still struggle how to start to draw. Most the books have more words than photos, of how to start to draw. Also with the videos.

I am not sure how to start to draw, and to learn anatomy in the same time.
What is bad that i don't art classes here, so i can't attend art life drawing. Also, i am not very confident and i don't fell ok, to go out and draw. I prefer from books, and pictures.

How to start to learn to draw and to learn anatomy

Replies

• ExcessiveZero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ExcessiveZero polycounter lvl 6
    http://ctrlpaint.com/

I seem to be recommending this site a lot lately, but I find it has some of the most comprehensive fundamentals to art and drawing, check it out man.
  • huffer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    huffer interpolator
    A crucial part is developing a good artistic eye, as in being capable of identifying a good drawing from a bad one, and a leveled-head approach about what you create (being very self-critical is a sure way to progress). Another important thing is having many artists that you like and look up to, and always try to get close to their level of skill. So, just start drawing, inspired by your favourites and always try to analyse your work to them and try to improve it.
  • Shiniku
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shiniku polycounter lvl 9
    There are several Andrew Loomis books availible for free online. Check this out:

Figure Drawing For All It's Worth

Just go through that book and study it cover to cover. Copy every page if you want, it'll help you retain info and probably improve your drawing skills in general.

Loomis' books are one of the very best places for someone to start on their quest to learn artistic anatomy. I doubt you would find many artists who disagree with that.

Ctrl+Paint is great as well, especially for general drawing principals like line weight, perspective, etc.
  • Jeff Parrott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeff Parrott polycounter lvl 19
    Biggest thing you can do is copy stuff. Look at reference and redraw it. A bunch. Then start doing your own from memory after a while. Will Terrell does some great drawing videos. He has one on this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pOK2sDLtu2Q

I know this method helps me a ton suck less at drawing.
  • Equanim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Equanim polycounter lvl 11
    http://figuresfordrawing.tumblr.com/

IMO the best way to learn to draw anything is to practice it in rapid succession. Go to the above tumblr and draw a new figure every three minutes, yes I said three minutes, over the course of an hour. The trick is not to hesitate or be sentimental, just complete the figure as best you can in three minutes and move on. Make it a point to do this at least several days a week. (Once a day would be best.)

I guarantee you will see noticeable improvement in a few weeks.
  • Stinger88
  • fatihG_
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fatihG_ polycounter lvl 14
    http://androidarts.com/art_tut.htm

I learned most of the basics with this article.
  • Prvelli
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I read that do not copy while drawing. I want to understand things.
    Is there a book where speak how to draw skeleton, then muscles and the surface on top of that? I want to know what's going on under the muscles. I have tons of books, but seems they are a bit advanced for me.
  • Denny
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Denny polycounter lvl 14
    If you have the money, maybe invest in Gnomon? I'm currently watching this series as a part of my personal 30 day anatomy challenge. (no thread, sorry)

http://www.thegnomonworkshop.com/store/product/999/Anatomy-Workshop%3A-Volume-One

Note that there are five volumes. Charles is really good at explaining things and I have learnt a lot from the first volume alone. He spends a lot of time making sure you understand how to look for good relationships in the figure and not only how to count how many heads long a part is.

I personally watch the series while using a traditional pen and paper, this to have complete focus. Digital art has a tendency to make you loose focus. Either it's an awkward button you must press or a cluttered UI. I also believe it's a good process not to be a perfectionist while learning, so it's okay to not do perfect anatomy while following the examples.
  • Stinger88
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stinger88 polycounter
    Look for Ryan Kingslien anatomy courses. They are primarily for ZBrush but it teaches just about everything about human anatomy.
  • Denny
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Denny polycounter lvl 14
  • Prvelli
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I don't have problem with money. I;ll take any class for online anatomy and drawing, that is good for someone like me. Because i am total beginner, i want things to be explained in-detail. Then, after that, i will try to draw based on some tricks and techniques. Everything i get is timelapse, drawing skull or head. no idea what is going on.

One more thing. With pencil or with tablet? I have tablet wacom bamboo, tried to do somethings in Photoshop, and it looks fun. except i have no idea how to draw:)
    I even set up dual monitor to watch reference, tutorials, but so far nothing useful .
  • spiderDude
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    spiderDude polycounter lvl 8
    I think Proko's series of figure drawing will fit your needs
    http://www.proko.com/how-to-draw-videos/

What makes his videos cool is that he will explain the lesson for free and in the simplest way; than if you want to pay for the premium content you'll get more info and he will critique your work on that lesson.
  • elGuapo
  • Rafferty_Eggleston
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rafferty_Eggleston polycounter lvl 9
    I think the mistake a lot of people make is not actually taking the time to READ the books they buy. ... It's often dry information, that's just nature of it.

Really everything Dustin said. A lot of people are giving some really awesome links here! I think a lot of people get tied up in researching and watching a ton of tutorials and they don't actually end up drawing / practicing whatever it is in anyway. I'm definitely guilty of it.

Learning to draw is a long process. It's all about the time and effort put into it. Along with the 3 minute figure drawings that Equanim mentioned, I think the best advice is to just make sure you're drawing something (anything) everyday.

and Joe Mad's art advice here.
  • MagicSugar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MagicSugar polycounter lvl 10
  • Prvelli
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    To be honest with you guys. I barely read some of the books i have.I just wanted to see how this are explained, how to approach to draw. Especially i want to see step by step drawings.
  • BARDLER
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BARDLER polycounter lvl 12
    I am kind of bummed out that nobody here has said to simply draw from life, and do it often. First things first, DO NOT DRAW HUMANS YET!!! If you do not understand how to render a still life of jars, pots, pipes, balls, boxes, ect then you have no chance to understand how to draw a human. At the base level a human is simply a collection of boxes, cylinders, and balls. Before I did any figure drawing I think I probably rendered over a 100 still life set ups with charcoal on newsprint. It might not be as exciting as drawing the figure, but it gives you an amazing base level of understanding that is important to develop your artistic skills in all mediums.

Ideally try to find a intro sketching class that will have an instructor push you along because it will speed along the process. If you can't do that, than go to goodwill buy a bunch of simple objects to draw, get a couple lamps, and set up a little drawing studio at your house. Draw the simple stuff first, and keep pushing into more complex shapes, and eventually things like fruit, flowers, or liquids. I guarantee you in less than 3 months you will have far more confidence in drawing things that you see, including humans.
  • acitone
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Does anyone have pics that show the right topology for muscularly defined anatomy?
  • MagicSugar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    acitone wrote: »
    Does anyone have pics that show the right topology for muscularly defined anatomy?

Google image "Langer's Lines". Watchout for the penis pics (you have been warned :shifty:).
  • lutzbot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lutzbot polycounter lvl 3
    I think you might be overthinking it a bit.. so long as you start putting in the hours, the questions of pencil+paper vs photoshop and 'how do i start' and 'how do i learn drawing and anatomy at the same time' are answered by experience, not by watching or reading.
  • Boban
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    What is the different from drawing real life or from photo? I am not confident and i don't feel ok to draw someone from life. It makes me nervous, From photo, i have more time to figure it out how to draw.
  • BARDLER
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BARDLER polycounter lvl 12
    Boban wrote: »
    What is the different from drawing real life or from photo? I am not confident and i don't feel ok to draw someone from life. It makes me nervous, From photo, i have more time to figure it out how to draw.

Drawing from photos create stiff gestures, you tend to work way to slow, cause you to fall in bad habits, and can create really bad distortions without you even realizing it.

The drawing salon I do every week is 3 hours long, I get about 80 drawings total. We start of with 10 second poses, then we do 30 seconds, then 1 minutes, than 2 minutes, than some 5 minutes, and than back to 2 minutes. At the end of that 3 hour session I am better at drawing because it forces you to work fast, and you realize what areas of the figure you do not understand well enough to draw quickly.

There is no replacement for seeing a model posed in front of you. You just see and notice more than a sill photo, and you can move around the model to get a different view if you need to.
  • MagicSugar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Boban wrote: »
    What is the different from drawing real life or from photo?

Life drawing/ sculpting, you can acquire visual library of how human body can hold a pose in terms of age (muscle flexibility), weight (dancers give you more dynamic poses than plus size models, for example), unfiltered views of their skin, visible bony landmarks that may be airbrushed out in processed photos. Great in learning and practicing with gestures too. Lots of these will help you out if you plan to do character concept art or comics.

Where I'd give advantage to photos is it's better to use them when you self-teach yourself learning anatomy. In life drawing class, usually, you can't just approach the model and tell her or him to spread their legs some more so you could inspect their adductor muscles or twist their arm so you could confirm the medial epicondyle exists like it says in your anatomy book or chart.

If you're shy probably best to participate in a life drawing worskhop first or find a mentor to give you some beginner's pointers before you attempt to just drop in into an uninstructed class.