Home Technical Talk

How would YOU create a tileable grass texture? (w/ normals)

Hello Polycount!,

pretend you're an environment artist working on a project with a visual fidelity comparable to Bioshock Infinite for example. In other words, a sort of stylized realism aesthetic, so fairly realistic. You need to create a tileable grass texture for landscape to blend in with your grass card assets.

If you can, please briefly explain your workflow sequence in creating such a texture, as if you're tutoring the co-worker in the next work space. I'd just like to know what approaches I can take besides creating a tileable diffuse and generating normals from it.

Replies

• m4dcow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    m4dcow interpolator
    Artaekos wrote: »
    Hello Polycount!,

pretend you're an environment artist working on a project with a visual fidelity comparable to Bioshock Infinite for example. In other words, a sort of stylized realism aesthetic, so fairly realistic. You need to create a tileable grass texture for landscape to blend in with your grass card assets.

If you can, please briefly explain your workflow sequence in creating such a texture, as if you're tutoring the co-worker in the next work space. I'd just like to know what approaches I can take besides creating a tileable diffuse and generating normals from it.

I made this video when I was doing the escape challenge that might be of help. (has some weird ghosting glitches though)
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i7LgAZ6FbSA"]Tiling Grass Tutorial - YouTube[/ame]
    You could use the same textures, or even meshes you used to make your grass cards to make the tiling textures like in the video.
  • Artaekos_inactive
    Interesting, yeah your tutorial is definitely corrupted by demonic souls in regard to the glitches though.
  • Chase
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Chase polycounter lvl 9
    Great tutorial!