Home Unreal Engine

UDK blocky terrain painting

Hi everyone,

Our level designers/artists have a problem with painting materials on terrain.
The material seems to blend reasonably on the edges but where the full material should be displayed everything appears black. Even though the material in the material editor seems to be setup properly (the snow material is working fine but the rest is doing this).

Does anyone have an explanation/fix for this?

b6ff84c115384b307b8b1500f1a162df.png

Replies

• Sinking
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It may be that the material above the snow has a priority over the one you are painting. Paint the snow material wil target value "1" and make sure it is on top of the other materials. When I layer my landscape materials in UDK I do it like in real-life, e.g.:

top: snow
    mid: gravel/rocks
    below: mud/sand

The black you are seeing is like another layer. The material should be able to paint over it. I've had this problem before too and is usually isn't hard to find a solution.
  • Rooster128
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rooster128 polycounter lvl 8
    I'm wondering if you may be experiencing the side effects of using multiple LB_HeightBlend nodes without having one layer set to LB_AlphaBlend. That will happen when all layers have alpha of 0. (UDN Article: http://udn.epicgames.com/Three/LandscapeMaterials.html goto "Note about multiple LB_HeightBlend layers")