Home Technical Talk

Cavity Maps Over Diffuse

What's up guys. Had a quick question on Cavity Maps. I currently use cavity maps to make my spec map pop out more, but is it useful to use cavity maps on top of diffuse, say overlay or screen blending mode? I've done some tests and can't find the right blending mode on which to set the cavity over the diffuse, but I've herd it can come in handy when making the diffuse details pop out more. Any ideas?

Replies

• Quack!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Quack! polycounter lvl 17
    The overlay method is completely up to you. You need to be able to look at it and say, 'Yea this looks the way I want', or 'nah, this shit is terrible'. It is subjective and you are the master.

In a very general sense, cavities contribute a very subtle amount of detail to the diffuse, but this can vary wildly.

Make it look good in your eyes.
  • Mik2121
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mik2121 polycounter lvl 9
    It depends on the style you're aiming for, the more realistic you wanna make something, the less cavity map to be shown on the diffuse, as you want the edges to pop when the light hits it only.

Anyway, for things like rocks I usually put a bit of cavity map on top overlayed but with an opacity of like 10% or so, so you can just slightly see it.
  • Jaber
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys, the outcome of my tests after reading the feedback is very subtle but noticeable, thanks again guys.
  • Valandar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Valandar polycounter lvl 18
    Another option is to have it there on some materials, but not others, depending on the 'look' you want.