Home Technical Talk

cheap but good wacom

Lets say is there some good tables for up to 200 euros? I saw many for 1000+ dollars but i cannot afford them, any thing good for beggining but still to i dont have to starve?

Replies

• EarthQuake
    Plenty, you can pick up a used intuos 3 or 4 for not much money (and they last forever, I still have an intuos 2). The small version of the current model intuos pro is only $250, and its 6x4" or so which is plenty for a starter tablet.

You can go even cheaper with the basic non "pro" intuos at $100 for the small one.
  • Vailias
    Offline / Send Message
    Vailias polycounter lvl 18
    ebay?
    I just got a bamboo pen and touch as a travel tablet for $30 or so. Its one or two generations of tablet back, but its still has 1024 pressure levels and capacitive multitouch capability.

It doesn't have the tilt or rotation sense capabilities like the intuos pro pens, but it works fine as an everyday tablet.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_sacat=0&_from=R40&_nkw=wacom&rt=nc&LH_PrefLoc=3
  • HammerFist3D2D
    But isnt it hard to get used to watch in tft monitor but draw intuos. If not how long u need, or it is almostt same like mouse
  • passerby
    Offline / Send Message
    passerby polycounter lvl 12
    But isnt it hard to get used to watch in tft monitor but draw intuos. If not how long u need, or it is almostt same like mouse

i use the older intuos 3, and when i got it years ago, took about one week to get used to it. Now i feel just as comfortable using it as i do drawing in my sketchbook.
  • bgivenb
    Offline / Send Message
    bgivenb polycounter lvl 5
    I have the bamboo pen, and it is perfectly good for all my uses. I got it a year ago for $60
  • Urzaz
    Offline / Send Message
    Urzaz polycounter lvl 6
    I always recommend the newest, cheapest model Bamboo tablet to people who want to get a Wacom. Each generation of Bamboo tablets gets better and better, but there are also more expensive models that only give you a little more workspace and marginally useful features, you get A LOT for your money with just the lowest-end Bamboo.

A couple years ago my Graphire4 (old, small Bamboo precursor) broke and I upgraded to an Intuos4 Medium I got on ebay for $200-300. I really like the size, not too big, not too small, and I don't even use most of the features it has. Unless you see a good deal I wouldn't get anything fancier than that. ....until you buy a gigantic Cintiq, of course.
  • McGreed
    Offline / Send Message
    McGreed polycounter lvl 15
    Yeah, I'm trying to figure out which tablet to get now and really like to get one with a screen, and was looking at the Cintiq 13HD, however since it's still not standalone, it might be better to get the bigger versions, even though I was looking at the Wacom Companion, but the price is mad, compared to getting a big stationary Cintiq.

I might just get a medium Intuos 4, but it's tempting to get one with a screen. ;)
  • Urzaz
    Offline / Send Message
    Urzaz polycounter lvl 6
    So I don't know if you guys know this but since I posted last, I found out Wacom has changed the name of their entry-level tablets AGAIN-- giving them the Intuos moniker, while Bamboo is being used for iPad pens and wireless touchpad things.
    I guess this makes sense, cleans up the naming conventions quite a bit. Bamboo = no pressure sensitivity(?); Intuos = standard tablets; Cintiq = built-in screen.
    I might just get a medium Intuos 4, but it's tempting to get one with a screen. ;)

When you're actually drawing or painting directly in Photoshop, a Cintiq is SUCH a breath of fresh air. For most sculpting, modelling or regular texture work, though, my Intuos works just as well and in some ways I prefer it. It depends what your bank account looks like I suppose, but for me I wouldn't get one unless I'm making money doing concept art. ...and if I did get one I'd get the biggest one possible. :)
  • LordSebbington
    Offline / Send Message
    LordSebbington polycounter lvl 6
    @HammerFist3D2D: Not sure if you've sorted out a tablet but If you haven't got your heart set on a Wacom, I'd say it's worth considering Monoprice. I don't want to start a Wacom vs The World discussion but I've been using the 12"x9" tablet for a good year and have no complaints. Plus, it's huge. Not as much polish as Wacom but it does the job amd I find the sensitivity more than capable.

Ray Frenden also does some thorough reviews that are worth a look.

@Urzaz: That said, I wouldn't sniff at a nice big Cintiq :)
  • smilodon
    I think the intuos pro small is what you're looking for.

http://www.wacom.com/en/us/creative/intuos-pro-s

at $250 usd, it should be right around your price range. It's a solid professional choice that you should be able to use for years to come.
  • Urzaz
    Offline / Send Message
    Urzaz polycounter lvl 6
    LordSebbington - I like what Monoprice does in general, honestly it seems like the only downside to a lot of their stuff is that horrendous logo. That said, I think with tablets I might get a little edgy about it. I would want to try them side-by-side, if I could, but that newest Cintiq alternative looks really sweet, and super cheap. I would definitely consider something like that, just because you're saving so much. It's not as if Wacoms don't have their problems.

The Intuos5/Pro - Does anyone have one? It seems like touch controls would be of limited use and would possibly even be a problem. I'm doing charcoal work for school now, and I don't like having to worry about my hands touching the surface. I know they have algorithms, but does it work all the time? In terms of "normal" features-- is there any appreciable difference in terms of pressure smoothness, overall feel, etc.? Just curious; I opted for an Intuos4 because my guess was there were minimal improvements, but if anyone with the new model would like to chime in I'd love to hear.
  • Kbrom12