Home General Discussion

The gym for the 3d artist ?

Replies

• valuemeal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    valuemeal polycounter lvl 6
    If you want to get into specifics, I do about 50 pec flys on one machine at the maxium weight
    Around 60 lifts on the weight machine at maxium weight
    30 pull ups on the bar, 60 squats, and bench press about 250 pounds.

I am a muscular fellow, but I sometimes have a gut because I eat rather unhealthy things at times.
  • Marcus_Aseth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Marcus_Aseth polycounter lvl 9
    barnesy: Your level of planning is over 9000 man,it almost scares me :)
    I suggest ringing a doctor or nutritionist before starting any kind of programme
    Great suggestion. Luckily for me,living on Italy,the local kind of cuisine should be pretty healty,so no need of any special programme,also no trash food because there is none around (not even a McDonald in my town,can you believe such a place exists?! :) )

But I also want to hear a physiotherapist for my specific case before taking the final decision on how to train,since I've already done the MRI an I don't want to risk to do generic exercises that work wonderful for someone but risk to aggravate my situation.

Did you guys ever went to a physiotherapis,or just try out new stuff and see what works and what don't?
  • NegevPro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NegevPro polycounter lvl 4
    The number one thing to learn from this thread is that you don't fuck with polycounters in real life. Some of the posts in this thread make me wonder what I'm doing with my life lol.
  • J0NNYquid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    J0NNYquid polycounter lvl 5
    Definitely talk to a doctor first if you're looking to make radical changes. Work into it slowly.

Personally, I love to run, so my workouts are centered around that. I lift MWF, pretty light, but lots of reps, and I make it a goal to run at least 5 days a week (when it's nice out, winter I'm lucky if I get 4.)

I have 2 cadaver-grafted knees thanks to playing soccer in high-school/college, so I do have limits as to what I can do for lower-body excercises. I almost never use any weight whatsoever when doing lower body excercises. Lots of body-weight squats, calf-raises, jump rope, things like that.

I tried the super strict schedule and it's just not for me, I just try and keep some goals in mind for that specific days meals and workouts. For instance:

Breakfast: I try and eat a decent breakfast, usually consisting of some form of protein and a piece of fruit.

Lunch: Anything goes here, but I tend to eat pretty healthy. Like I said, setting super strict guidelines has never worked for me. If I plan on running that evening I'll try and have some carbs, which is almost always rice, as I'm sensitive to gluten.

Dinner: Again, no real rules here, pretty much just try and have some protein and vegetables, if I'm going on a long run the next day I'll double up on the carbs and have some more rice.

Again, I feel like the more pressure you put on yourself, the stricter you go, the easier it is to burn out. I don't beat myself up if I miss a workout, or eat crappy one day. Health is cumulative, so as long as you don't consistently skip workouts and eat poorly, you're going to get healthier no matter what. It is really easy to live that life working in our industry. At work I upgraded to an excercise ball chair and I love it. You do get tired sitting on it, but that's just an excuse to get up and walk around a bit, so you double-up on the healthiness of it all! Also, drink water. Lots of it. All the time. Drink a huge glass first thing in the morning, I've read that it boosts metabolism (too lazy to find out if this is true or not).
  • PixelMasher
  • Aleksey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    swimming is always good.

if i havent worked out for a long time ( a year) i always start with swimming. Its practically impossible to injure yourself and builds your whole body (freestyle)

then you can move onto weight training.
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Asking a set of your peers (aka fellow artists who likely face the same challenges you do) for advice on something seems ... quite logical, really.
  • HitmonInfinity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HitmonInfinity polycounter lvl 11
    I kinda get what you're saying. This thread started with good intentions but now...
  • Geezus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Geezus mod
    The thread continues to have good intentions... unless, of-course we allow people to start posting memes. I see no reason why this thread can't continue to be a source of information for those looking to get out of the sedentary lifestyle our career tends to put us in.
  • HitmonInfinity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HitmonInfinity polycounter lvl 11
    Our industry isn't exactly known for being in great physical shape... So when a thread like this pops up it seems like those of us who work out take the opportunity to announce it to the world and spin it like they're giving advice. I'm not saying that's what everyone is doing, but I was just trying to make light of the situation.

Replaced the image with a link...
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    have a Chris Holden in your office