Home Technical Talk

Question about ZBrush polycount

Why the ZBrush polycount is almost half of the "real" (don't know a better word to use) polycount?

Background:

So, I'm a noob who is trying to learn to create items for the Dota 2 workshop and I've stepped into a problem. I've used Zbrush for retopo and the polys that when I hover my mouse in the subtool palette were almost half of what Dota 2 importer recognized.
So I brought to 3Ds max which I'm more familiarized and saw that there was one polycount for the "edit mesh" mode, and one different polycount for the "edit poly" mode, the Dota 2 importer recognized the "edit mesh" count while ZBrush showed the "edit poly" one.

Sorry if this is a common question that can be easily googled, but I just couldn't find the right words.

Replies

• Buttlas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Are you sure its not just a quads vs tris situation?
  • MM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MM polycounter lvl 17
    Aewawa wrote: »
    Why the ZBrush polycount is almost half of the "real" (don't know a better word to use) polycount?

most likely because the polycount is calculated by face rather than triangle.
    but in game dev we usually calculate pure triangle count.
    a face or in this case a quad face containing 2 tri is calculated as 1 giving you a polycount half of its triangle count.
  • cryrid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cryrid interpolator
    Zbrush displays the point/vertex count, not polygons. And it doesn't take into consideration the real vertex count in an engine either (UV/smoothing splits)

Edit: (Sorry, I guess the subtool display reports polys as well. In which case it likely is a triangle/quad difference as it returns 6 polys for a basic cube)
  • MM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MM polycounter lvl 17
    cryrid wrote: »
    Zbrush actually displays the point/vertex count, not polygons. And it doesn't take into consideration the real vertex count in an engine either (UV/smoothing splits)

are you sure ? i see my zbrush display both polygons and points/verts. the polygon count is a face count.
  • cryrid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cryrid interpolator
    Nah, I goofed and didn't see that the subtool palette was specifically focued on.
  • Aewawa
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MM wrote: »
    most likely because the polycount is calculated by face rather than triangle.
    but in game dev we usually calculate pure triangle count.
    a face or in this case a quad face containing 2 tri is calculated as 1 giving you a polycount half of its triangle count.

that is probably it, thx