Home Contests & Challenges Archives

GOLF - Koi Pond

Alright, so my first idea was a Zen Garden, but I see that we have a couple other people working on that, and I would like to do something a little different.

I am going to *try* and make a koi pond, over which there will be a meandering wooden boardwalk that will serve as the putting green.

The scene will still have a distinctly asian feel (I'm thinking hanging lanterns, bamboo, etc.

I will get a mockup and moodboard up in the next day or two.

Good luck to all!

Replies

• dustykhan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dustykhan polycounter lvl 5
    Please let a Koi Carps mouth be the hole!
  • Ewing
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Started blocking out the course. The path takes you over 2 bridges that traverse waterfalls from the pond, and has you circle a large fish statue in the center that is the hole (per DustyKhan's excellent suggestion!)

Its a pretty meandering path, and I think I need to add a few more obstacles that make it a little more skill dependent. Right now, the course is very straight forward, and doesn't seem challenging.

Feedback is always appreciated!process_1_zps167d1df5.png
  • LANKUS MAXIMUS
    Nice block-out Ewing. I think the simplicity is really nice. You've got good flow.

I can remember seeing some of your hand painted skills before in your sketchbook. The design and texturing skills combined are gonna result in a beautiful little course.

All the best!
  • Ewing
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the kind words Lankus!

This is the first time I have tried pulling together an entire scene instead of just individual environmental/prop pieces that just sort of float in space, so we will see how far I get. I am resolved to get it done and playable by the deadline, even if the textures aren't perfect.
  • LANKUS MAXIMUS
    I'm in the same boat dude. This is my first contest and my first complete scene.

I'm trying to think ahead about the texture limitations and how I can get it all together. I've just created a few props myself...
  • Ewing
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Retiring this idea and switching to my new concept.

New thread - GOLF-Kinetic Temple

Thanks for the kind words and feedback! If anyone is itching to do a pond but was avoiding it because it was taken, feel free to run with it!