Home Dota 2

Mhkiel's Workshop Thread

Hello, So Sapphire and I working together on this Lone Druid project. We hit off during the Chinese New Year Event, and decided we would work together some more.

After some brainstorming this is the Description we came up with.

Sylla awaits the end int he remotest parts of the world. He journeys to and fro across this plane. Usually as the seasons pass he befriends the animals around him. In the remotest parts of Icewrack where few care to venture, Sylla lost track of time as most immortals do. With a lack of critters to converse with the lone druid now truly alone began to go crazy. Talking to himself and asking the wind to remind him of things.

In such a barren land a creature of ill report was drawn to the Druid's power. The Wendigo is a viscous creature, living in a land of little, it's appetite is never satisfied. Twisted as a nightmare, a king of desolation has become the embodiment of Sylla's spirit and mind.

Sylla the Skinwalker.

Working on right now is the Skinwalker Wolfskin Hood.

Inspiration:

2rF5Tlk.jpg

Rough Model:

JocbfL1.jpg

We plan to break away from the normal bear model and go with a wendigo of our own design. Wolf head, Caribou body, Hyena mane, Antlers, 3 toed Talon front feet, hooves in hind feet. Hopefully it look awesome.

Critiques always welcomed,

Replies

• Mhykiel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here is the finished sculpt. Sent the bakes to Sapphire to color up and we'll see how it goes.

8zOBMBP.jpg
  • Potm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Potm keyframe
    this bear head reminds me of Sniper's new set, i dont know it's a good thing or not but i just feel as though it's nothing new D:
  • cagdasx44
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I agree with Potm and also ı dont think your scuplt is done, you should improve it especialy the beard.
  • Spudnik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spudnik polycounter lvl 11
    Also, I get the feel Lone Druid would respect bears more than to wear their faces on his head.
  • Mhykiel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the comments. A lot of shamans have worn wolf and bear skin hoods. The set is called skinwalker. Like Native tribes around the world would wear the skin of an animal and then change into it.

I'll attempt the scultp again and I do have a little room to add a little thing. Maybe it will set it apart.
  • MagnoHusein
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spudnik wrote: »
    Also, I get the feel Lone Druid would respect bears more than to wear their faces on his head.

besides the fact it's a wolf in his head (I guess), if it's the case I don't see a problem. If it's a bear, I have to agree with Spudinik.

As for the highpoly model, it's filled with small and weak shapes, my suggestion is to look for bigger shapes with some "flow"
  • Mhykiel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well it is supposed to be a wolf head. I looked at tons of pictures of wolfs and checked out variants and how they are portrayed in game. I think I got the features to at least make the pelt recognizable as a wolf.
  • Mhykiel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well I took a step back and decided to pin down what was in my head with what I was going to model.

Here's the concept so far. And the 2 variants I'm bouncing between. One is more native American and one more Celtic.

XF43kKt.png
  • Mhykiel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Took the advice I got and reworked the sculpt to make the hair more defined and to make the fur in a style I'm comfortable with. I think I was trying to hard to copy others fur like work.

FJxerwg.jpg
  • Mhykiel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks spudnik.. I use your model sheets all the time.
  • polarbear
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I feel like you still need to work on your bears head. Try less realistic and more stylized.
    I would take this as a reference how fur looks good in dota2:
    BD0D37BE294555FE2479286AC21317D12E41CE61
    Also your nose looks very small and that makes the bear look more cute than strong.
  • kite212
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kite212 polycounter lvl 15
    polarbear wrote: »
    I feel like you still need to work on your bears head. Try less realistic and more stylized.
    I would take this as a reference how fur looks good in dota2:
    Also your nose looks very small and that makes the bear look more cute than strong.

:thumbup: Your fur details are still way to small on his head. In game perspective it will just be noise and only visible in the hero cam mode.
  • Mhykiel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kite212: I'll try to make the fur bigger.

Polarbear: It's a wolf head. I'm not trying to copy that style. If you look at the default models of the lone druid and his spirit bear I would prefer my stuff to follow more inline with that. But I think I do need a better silhouette.
  • polarbear
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mhykiel wrote: »
    Polarbear: It's a wolf head. I'm not trying to copy that style. If you look at the default models of the lone druid and his spirit bear I would prefer my stuff to follow more inline with that. But I think I do need a better silhouette.

I know it's a wolf head. ^^
    I think you misunderstood me: just look at the fur. It's big, even so big that it is visible in the lod0 (maybe even lod1) geometry and not just in the baked texture.
  • kite212
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    polarbear wrote: »
    I know it's a wolf head. ^^
    I think you misunderstood me: just look at the fur. It's big, even so big that it is visible in the lod0 (maybe even lod1) geometry and not just in the baked texture.

Yeah these are really the size of shapes you want to target for your fur so it is as readable as possible, and fits really well with the over tone of Dota art style. Keep at it!
  • Mhykiel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    V20gk9W.jpg

Thank you for the comments. I went back and I made the tuffs of fur bigger. I also made the the forehead, ears, etc larger. I've tested it in game and don't think it's too different from the default models fur and proportion. Especially next to the bear.

I'm learning a great deal. I also know I have to move on and keep a momentum going so I finish a set. It may not be the best thing out there, but it will be better than the stuff I have made before. And with these comments in mind I'll have to learn more on my next model.

I still have a 120 polygons in the low to add something to tie the set together
  • kite212
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    These are exactly the kind of shapes you want, looking much better imo. Now the only thing i would say is it looks like the ear is coming out of some of the fur, just to to make it look the the ear is more attached to the head in that area,kind of like this crude paint over

WolfPaintOver.jpg
  • Mhykiel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I got a lot of great feedback from the wolf skin hood. I think I learned more in a short time with the critiques then I really could have on my own. A lot of the suggestions I will have to keep in mind for my next items. I'm waiting on Sapphire to finish the masks and I will post a link to the submission page when those are done.

In the mean time, I know I could be biting off more than we can chew but I have started on a courier. Going to be a cute little pink mammoth in draft named pinky.

I really enjoyed working on this piece in the Dota2 Hangout. As well as being the first piece that went from concept on paper to model. I think I'm settling into a much better workflow.

Concept Art:

fITm75z.jpg

Here is the direction it is taking for now.

LLYC8qO.jpg
  • heboltz3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    heboltz3 polycounter lvl 9
    I mentioned this in the hangout, but besides the idea that idea that this shares exact design choices from a courier I recently submitted. I think that it is in your best bet to finish your lone druid set before picking up another piece, especially soloing a courier.

You will learn more from completing a set then jumping from project to project, and I urge you to do that before picking up more pieces.

As an artist, I am obligated to defend my work and state that while an elephant and a mammoth are technically very different species, there is a uncanny resemblance in your concept to my piece. Granted your model is not close to your concept what so ever, I urge you to rethink your guiding design decisions.

If you make it less "stampy" and more mammoth, it will be neat, however right now I see too much of my previous work, and not enough original content. I believe this is inherently from your concept looking so similar to my work (honestly it feels like fan art), and I'd suggest you focus less on that, and more on a unique, mammoth piece courier. Keep in mind mammoths are also nothing new to dota, as shown here but I feel that if you push the mammoth details, forget your original concept and keep on running with the "cutesy" theme you seem to have, it should be okay. Maybe ice/wintery things instead of a shield sword and scroll? Could be neat courier if directed towards Tusk.

If this seems harsh or over bearing at times, it is because I've previously informed you of my work and the similarity of this piece to it while you were in earlier stages of this piece, and it seems like the friendly "stepping on toes" message was ignored.

How do you imagine it will fly?
  • belkun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    belkun polycounter lvl 7
    I agree with heboltz with some stuff. I think that the concept does look a lot like his elephant. However, I think that if you go towards a more furry mammoth it would not only look better, it would also differentiate it from Harry's Stampy. Also, changing the items on his back should be a priority, because right now they really do look a lot like the ones on Stampy.

I don't think that you're stealing this or anything, because a elephant courier is not a super original idea (no offense to you both! they both look great!), but you should have listened to Harry when he warned you about the similarity to his courier on the Hangout.
  • Mhykiel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Harry, there is as much similarity between your work and mine as there is between 2 horse/donkey couriers in the workshop. Or as much as between your Stampy and Peanut the Spirit Elephant. You use angular shapes and mine is more sphere and primitives. I think the finish concept will have enough in just style difference to set it apart. But I appreciate your interest and hope your elephant does well.

Belkun, It's a shield and back pack on the back. A combination that can be seen on a lot of couriers. I'll look into changing that around.
  • Sukotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sukotto polycounter lvl 8
    For the sake of originality maybe you could infuse some design elements from Tusk or Magnus? Even with the similarity between Stampy and Peanut, both are very different ideas, Peanut is more of a 'gypsy circus' elephant and Stampy has a more wild influence to him.
  • CSOConnor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm sorry Mhykiel, not only are the proportions similar, but the shield/strap/rug combo on his back is almost exactly the same, as well as the hair tuft on his head. Your horse/donkey metaphor isn't holding much water. I strongly suggest you make design changes that encompass more of your own ideas.
  • heboltz3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    heboltz3 polycounter lvl 9
    Mhykiel wrote: »
    Harry, there is as much similarity between your work and mine as there is between 2 horse/donkey couriers in the workshop. Or as much as between your Stampy and Peanut the Spirit Elephant. And your elephant flys by flapping it's ears, I guess Disney Dumbo is part of the public domain now.

Belkun, It's a shield and back pack on the back. A combination that can be seen on a lot of couriers. I'll look into changing that around but honestly it's a safe idea with backpack and shield, not a stolen one.

First off, no one said the work was stolen, and I suggest you think about saying that in this forum before jumping the gun on your words. Stolen work / concepts is taken seriously around here from what I've seen and I wouldn't want to get into that sticky of a situation.

As to your first point with the horse/donkey couriers, I'm not sure to which pieces you are referring to exactly, but the point remains the same. There is an uncanny amount of similarities between your concept image and Stampy. Stampy and Peanut are about as similar as an African Elephant and a Indian Elephant. From anatomical differences to decorations and paintings, and the entire pack system, there are first glance differences in the two designs of the same animal, similar to Haithi Jr from the Jungle Book and Dumbo.

This "first glance differential" is completely missing from the concept and Stampy, as well as several design elements of the WIP model. As the model is more pressing I'll deal with that. The pack design + shield is completely inspired by Stampy, and I would suggest that you view this as a "recycled" idea instead of a "safe" one. There are no safe concepts. If there were, everyone would get into the store. As CsOconnor also mentioned, the hair tuff is also inspired as well, however it flows more with the mammoth theme, and if you push the entire Hair aesthetic, it could work well with the piece. As far as the concept which doesn't matter as much seeing how it is not being followed very accurately, proportions (ears, face, legs, body), facial similarities (gruff over exaggerated eyebrows), and pack design seem to represent Stampy far more then the Mammoth WIP shot.

Secondly you never mentioned anything about your mammoth flapping his ears, nor did I mention that this was exclusive to Stampy. The Valve Mammoth in game actually flaps his ears, and it looks pretty excellent.

As it's been mentioned several times since I originally brought it up aiming this courier towards a winter theme would or "Tusk" help solidify the "ice/mammoth" idea differentiating the three/four pieces even more, as well as bringing in some cool unique flair. Think Ice Pick, Climbing rope, or fold up tent. They are all excellent ideas and would totally put the whole "shield + X " combo to rest.

What's mildly frustrating is that beyond the amount of visible similarity between the pieces, that others have commented on this and offered suggestions and critique that could potentially push your piece even further then the ones done before it and erase any said similarities, however these critiques are being responded to in a seemingly negative light, and slightly disrespectfully.
  • Mhykiel